Abu 6500 Syncro 1989

Started by jackpine, April 17, 2017, 01:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackpine

Trying to find a owners manual for this reel. Repairs are not going so good.

Thanks for any help.

foakes

Would this help?

Found it out in the other shop -- in the old shop manual archives.

If not, I can look deeper...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jackpine

Thanks for the schematics. Looking for owners manual.

foakes

Sure, Jack --

What sort of problems are you dealing with -- that an owner's manual may help you with?

If you let us know your issues, and maybe a couple of pics -- I am certain that some of the experts on the board could solve it.

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jackpine

If I'm not mistaken when you tighten or loosen the star drag you should hear a clicking sound. The reel has the 2 parts that create the sound(toothed gear under the star drag and the small piece that goes under the screwed plate, don't know the name of it).

This is not my 1st rodeo but this 1 has me stumped.

foakes

There is a part called the line out alarm spring -- which when screwed in properly interacts with the teeth on the underside of the drag star.

Could be bent, worn out, or installed wrong?

All must be seated properly with the spring washera in the proper configuration.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

handi2

I have 4 different Syncro reels and none of them have a drag star that clicks when turning the star. Maybe there are some that do?

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Right, Keith --

ABU, like many other manufacturers over the years, having used the term "Syncho" for various functions and reels.

In this case, the drag star has teeth on the inside that interact with this little metal spring thing that is supposed to act as a line out alarm -- when the drag is set very lightly while "still fishing" and waiting for a bite.

Abu Part #19683

This is a popular feature in Europe because they do a lot of night fishing.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

jackpine

Thanks Fred for the info. That's why I was looking for the owners manual, was not sure of proper use.

The drag washer must be worn, it slips when tightened. What drag parts do you use for your repairs for this reel?