UnderGunned with a Squidder??

Started by Whino83, April 22, 2017, 11:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

How many Delrin washers do you need?  I may have a few that a friend gave to me to try but I didn't have a squidder until a couple months ago and the second squidder I received in a trade went to Alan Tani.

PM me your address and I'll mail them out to you.

If you want to improve your Drags, I put together a 5 stack drag kit at the request of our members. Please look here. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10613.0

If you do, I highly recommend using a stainless steel gear sleeve. See MysticParts.com (https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Custom/98-155AT.aspx) or Cortez Conversions (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17456.0).  If you don't go with the stainless steel gear sleeve, the area where the handle arm mates with the gear sleeve will round and the handle would get wobbly.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mo65

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 23, 2017, 03:36:43 PM
If you do, I highly recommend using a stainless steel gear sleeve. See MysitcParts.com (https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Custom/98-155AT.aspx) or Cortez Conversions (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17456.0).  If you don't go with the stainless steel gear sleeve, the area where the handle arm mates with the gear sleeve will round and the handle would get wobbly.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Hey Brian, would you happen to know if anyone has the #98-155 steel sleeve in second generation cut?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sdlehr

Quote from: thorhammer on April 23, 2017, 11:01:50 AMwere in production for about 80 years with little design change.
I believe there were changes made to the spool over the years, as new line materials developed and their unintended consequences had to be dealt with, but the frame, side plates and guts didn't change at all over the __ years of production. John said 80 years, I had thought about 75, and when I look it up I find that production stopped in 2006 (from MysticParts page). First production year was '39. So that's 68 years of production. It's like the alligator that's hardly changed over millions of years. It hasn't had to.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Bryan Young

Quote from: mo65 on April 23, 2017, 06:38:05 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on April 23, 2017, 03:36:43 PM
If you do, I highly recommend using a stainless steel gear sleeve. See PennParts.com (https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Custom/98-155AT.aspx) or Cortez Conversions (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17456.0).  If you don't go with the stainless steel gear sleeve, the area where the handle arm mates with the gear sleeve will round and the handle would get wobbly.

Hey Brian, would you happen to know if anyone has the #98-155 steel sleeve in second generation cut?

I don't believe so.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mo65

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 24, 2017, 02:19:52 AM
I don't believe so.

Hmm...This has me wondering where I got the one I used in my Surfmaster 150. I was thinking I got it from Scott's but I checked yesterday and they only had the standard cut ss sleeve. This photo shows the key cuts going all the way down to the ratchet. 8)

Bryan Young

Quote from: mo65 on April 24, 2017, 12:38:09 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on April 24, 2017, 02:19:52 AM
I don't believe so.

Hmm...This has me wondering where I got the one I used in my Surfmaster 150. I was thinking I got it from Scott's but I checked yesterday and they only had the standard cut ss sleeve. This photo shows the key cuts going all the way down to the ratchet. 8)

I was wrong again. MysticParts.com has them.

conchydong

Does Tom (Cortez Conversions) have a frame for the regular width 140? I am not really a hot rodder for my Penn star drags like many of you are here but I am thinking about doing it for my 140 just for surf fishing.  I do not surf fish that often but after three weeks of windy weather, I am ready for anything.
I have upgraded many of my Internationals though with Tib frames and Cal'd or Cofed tweaks. One of my favorites is my now rare Wilfish framed TLD 50.

Decker

Agreed; I like casting a Squidder in the surf for throwing bait.   The plastic and aluminum spools cast well with the ball bearings.  I want to try magging them soon, mostly so that I can trust my kids to cast them without making a mess.  With a 3:1 retrieve ratio, they are a bit slow, often dragging the sinker on the sand, but what's the hurry? I'm waiting for the day when someone on this forum announces the availability of a higher ratio gear set ;).  That would make Squidder the new Jigmaster  ;D

Keta

Quote from: fishhawk on April 22, 2017, 09:23:58 PM
Good stuff!  Does anyone have dimensions or mcmaster part# for the under gear delrin washer for the squidder? I have plenty for the jigmasters can these be modified to fit the squidders?
Mark

I use the same size washer for both, if the 500 washers you have OD is too large you can grind it to fit the smaller 5-60 main gear in the Squidder.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mo65

Quote from: Decker on April 25, 2017, 12:21:29 PM
I'm waiting for the day when someone on this forum announces the availability of a higher ratio gear set ;).  That would make Squidder the new Jigmaster  ;D

Just think...that gear would also fit Long Beaches, Surfmasters, Silverbeach 99s, and a host of others. It would have to be a good seller! It's always the same old song and dance though when someone asks why can't there be a faster Squidder gear. They say increasing tooth count makes the teeth too thin...and not strong enough. Well...my argument is...not strong enough for what? I don't want to fish for sharks with my Squidder. I see no reason someone can't make a 10-12 pound max. gear in a 4:1 ratio. Penn did it years ago in the Mag 10. Although theirs was bronze/brass, I've had no hiccups at 10-12lbs. A stainless steel version would just be stronger. Most folks would spool a Squidder with 20lb. mono, so if you pushed the drag to 10lbs. that would be at 50% of break strength. That's higher than most folks set drag, so a gear that could handle 12lbs. of drag would be a very usable gear. 8)

fishhawk

Quote from: Keta on April 25, 2017, 01:31:43 PM
Quote from: fishhawk on April 22, 2017, 09:23:58 PM
Good stuff!  Does anyone have dimensions or mcmaster part# for the under gear delrin washer for the squidder? I have plenty for the jigmasters can these be modified to fit the squidders?
Mark

I use the same size washer for both, if the 500 washers you have OD is too large you can grind it to fit the smaller 5-60 main gear in the Squidder.

Thank-you Keeta!

oc1

The speed depends on the circumference of the main gear versus circumference of the pinion.  The pinion can't be made smaller, so the main gear has to be made larger.  Then the main gear has to be made to fit in the side plate.  Then the side plate gets larger or has a drop-down.  You can't get there from here.
-steve

Decker

Quote from: oc1 on April 25, 2017, 05:56:22 PM
The speed depends on the circumference of the main gear versus circumference of the pinion.  The pinion can't be made smaller, so the main gear has to be made larger.  Then the main gear has to be made to fit in the side plate.  Then the side plate gets larger or has a drop-down.  You can't get there from here.
-steve

I'll believe it when Sal says so! ;D
"Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will."

mo65

From another point of view, you have to wonder if it's really worth the trouble of working up a faster gear. There's really not much gain going from 3.3:1 to 4:1, and that's about the most that could be gained and still fit in a stock side plate. Sorta like the 505 Jigmaster being raised from 4:1 to 5:1...and the truth is it's only really 4.7:1. Hmm...no free lunch...8)

oc1

I was trying to be a condescending as I could in hopes of spurring Sal to find the solution.  In the end, it wouldn't really be a squidder though.
-steve