UnderGunned with a Squidder??

Started by Whino83, April 22, 2017, 11:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Fujitani

One of the things that got me hooked on fishing for pelagics and multi day trips out of San diego was on my first albacore trip out of Half Moon Bay over 20 years ago.  The 12 hour trip was a troll/jig trip since there were few live bait trips (nearest bait receiver was at Fishermans wharf in San Francisco). My arsenal consisted of Jigmasters and Squidders on steelhead and salmon rods, with troll rigs provided by the boat. 

I was casting swimbaits with my Squider with 20# Big Game mono on a steelhead rod.  I got a hit and could not control the fish.  The fish took drag due west at high speed.  I could not turn it or control it.  3/4 of my spool was gone in I'd guess, five seconds or less.  I made an instant decision to break it off or last ditch turn it.  I wrapped the mono around my arm and pointed my rod at the fish.  The fish broke off and I got most of my line back.
In retrospect, the fish may have been a big albacore (unlikely), a big BFT, a thresher or a mako.  And now, I'd fight the fish to the last coil on the Squidder.  It wasn't the Squidder that limited my fight, but the steelhead rod without enough back bone.     

Decker

Jim, thanks.  Like hearing your story on a Monday morning!  :o /Joe

Porthos

Quote from: Decker on May 15, 2017, 12:41:30 PM
Let's get this thread back on track... ;)...I can't wait to try a Penn Mag 970 on school tuna someday ;D...

In case you haven't seen this:
https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/tribute-7-19-7-21-1-5-day-took-home-1-fish.505359/

The rod and the line were the Achilles heel in that fight. Had it been a 30-50 rod with 40lb test, the fight would have been less painful. There's a photo of me and the deckhand right after the BFT had been gaffed...let me see if I can find it...

Decker

Quote from: Porthos on May 16, 2017, 12:34:58 PM
Quote from: Decker on May 15, 2017, 12:41:30 PM
Let's get this thread back on track... ;)...I can't wait to try a Penn Mag 970 on school tuna someday ;D...

In case you haven't seen this:
https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/tribute-7-19-7-21-1-5-day-took-home-1-fish.505359/

The rod and the line were the Achilles heel in that fight. Had it been a 30-50 rod with 40lb test, the fight would have been less painful.

Nice story, Amadeus ;D;enjoyed your writing!  I've got to get out to fish the Cali coast someday, and will look you up when I do.  Classic Penns only on that trip.  /Joe 

Porthos

Decker

fishhawk

Wow! and on a 970! Good job man! I bet that was a blast!
Mark

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ez2cdave

I absolutely LOVE Squidders . . . ! ! !

Here are a couple of mine : Note that I "bobbed" the Reverse Lever to prevent it from accidentally being activated and because it rubbed my hand uncomfortably.

Tight Lines !

thorhammer

Nice Dave. I for one have no use for the direct drive and don't see how you would in surf fishing. allz that happens is something touches it in transport and have a nice nest to take out of the truck.

You should investigate one of Tom's Cortez Classic 146 kits if you love Squidderdom. It's a Shelby Cobra next to a stock 'Stang.

ez2cdave

Quote from: mo65 on April 25, 2017, 01:35:11 PM
Quote from: Decker on April 25, 2017, 12:21:29 PM
I'm waiting for the day when someone on this forum announces the availability of a higher ratio gear set ;).  That would make Squidder the new Jigmaster  ;D

Just think...that gear would also fit Long Beaches, Surfmasters, Silverbeach 99s, and a host of others. It would have to be a good seller! It's always the same old song and dance though when someone asks why can't there be a faster Squidder gear. They say increasing tooth count makes the teeth too thin...and not strong enough. Well...my argument is...not strong enough for what? I don't want to fish for sharks with my Squidder. I see no reason someone can't make a 10-12 pound max. gear in a 4:1 ratio. Penn did it years ago in the Mag 10. Although theirs was bronze/brass, I've had no hiccups at 10-12lbs. A stainless steel version would just be stronger. Most folks would spool a Squidder with 20lb. mono, so if you pushed the drag to 10lbs. that would be at 50% of break strength. That's higher than most folks set drag, so a gear that could handle 12lbs. of drag would be a very usable gear. 8)

Maybe CORTEZ CONVERSIONS could re-create the MAGNUM SQUIDDER . . .

Tight Lines !

kmstorm64

Quote from: Whino83 on April 22, 2017, 06:35:56 PM
Yes both of mine are 140's. I do need to install new drag washers. They basically have no drag and then a ton of drag all of a sudden. The drags are very "jerky" as well. But I'd planned on buying a few new sets of the HT-100's and just swap out the fiber washers (it's what I used to do back in the day) but unless anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them. Lmao what is a Delrin?

Sounds like course thread gear sleeve. If you decided to stay with brass and go to fine thread it is a few bucks or go SS and maybe spend $30 for the sleeve and drag star.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

steelfish

Quote from: ez2cdave on August 12, 2017, 12:14:03 AM

Maybe CORTEZ CONVERSIONS could re-create the MAGNUM SQUIDDER . . .

Tight Lines !

Im waiting patiently for Tom to re-create 113h Magnum
The Baja Guy