TRITON TROLLING SERIES 30 - HELP!

Started by Marlinmate, April 22, 2017, 09:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlinmate

This reel was given to me in pieces and I'm struggling to get it working properly.   When in freespool, I've got NO freespool.   I can reel the handle and the spool still spins like it's fully in gear. Why?

Also...the spool looks funny to me the way it sits in the housing.  see pic.  Doesn't it look like it should go to the left more? But it can't or doesn't.
This reel also "clicks" all the time when the spool is spinning.

I'm stumped.

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

foakes

You are right, Jess --

That spool needs to be centered -- that is the problem.

Since you got it in pieces, and it has a complicated spool shaft with bearings, belvilles, washers, springs, and spacers -- likely something is out of order -- causing the spool to live too far towards the headplate.

Get a schematic, re-examine the order and placement of all parts on the spool shaft -- reorder arrangement as necessary -- should improve considerably.

Good luck on your project...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rothmar2

Firstly did you examine the schematic posted here?

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21368.0

A bit of a courtesy "Thank you" let's those of us trying to help you, know that you are following up our help/advice.
As Fred has said you have a spacing issue, the spool is too far to the right, and the ticking you are hearing is the ratchet hammer engaging with the ratchet plate.
How many pre-load washers (item 40) came with the reel?
My memory of these reels is there should be 12 of them.
2 should be placed at the left end of the spool shaft in () configuration.
The other 10 should be placed in ()()()()() configuration at the right end of the spool shaft and be held in place on the spool shaft by the pin (item 36).

It looks to me like you are either missing some of the preload washers, have them either aligned incorrectly, or placed incorrectly against the schematic, or the preloads have been flattened out and need replacing.
Check also you are not missing any of the other shaft spacers/collars/shims shown on the schematic.

Good luck, some pictures might make diagnosis a bit easier.

Marlinmate

Firstly did you examine the schematic posted here? Yes....when i finally had time to get to it. Thanks for posting.

I monkeyed around with it and am close...but I think I'm missing a few pieces.  I'm lacking a bearing thrust washer (#42).

What's the difference between part#'s 39, 40, 41 and 87?  Schematic is very clear.

Now when the reel is in freespool...I have freespool but when I crank the handle...the spool spins some....but it isn't in gear?

handi2

Yes when you crank the handle the spool will spin a little. You should be able to hold the spool and crank with ease. Just so when you spin the spool the handle doesn't move.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rothmar2

Quote from: Marlinmate on April 24, 2017, 04:04:51 AM
Firstly did you examine the schematic posted here? Yes....when i finally had time to get to it. Thanks for posting.

I monkeyed around with it and am close...but I think I'm missing a few pieces.  I'm lacking a bearing thrust washer (#42).

What's the difference between part#'s 39, 40, 41 and 87?  Schematic is very clear.

Now when the reel is in freespool...I have freespool but when I crank the handle...the spool spins some....but it isn't in gear?

"Part" 87 is the entire spring pack. Generally if 1 of the Belleville Spring washers is permanently compressed, then they most likely all are, so Shimano probably would have just sent "Part" 87 (ie. the entire stack) as a standard replacement. Part 39 is a flat SS washer that butts up against the pin. Kind of acts as a stopper against the pin. From memory, I think 41 is a brass spacer, and 42 are brass shims that push against the inner race of the spool bearing. This gives you some adjustment room for the overall length of the spring pack, and allows a certain amount of flexibility of drag curve with the movement of the drag lever. This was the great thing with older lever drags, the ability to modify your drag range and ramp up with more room to move with the pre-load (spring) washers. A bit of a "black art", but there is enough info on this forum about this if you have the time to research it.

Hope this helps.

Edit- On this page....http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7895.15 I described how I adjusted the ramp of a 30 a few years back. You really need a set of verniers as well as a selection of bellevilles and appropriate sized shims, to do it properly. If you are missing shims, you should still be able to get something that would work from Shimano, or maybe someone from the 'States can chime in where to get shims and bellevilles if this is not possible.

Marlinmate

I don't think Part#87 is the entire spring pack. If you zoom in on the schematic, #87(pre-load Spring H) appears to cover only 4 belleville springs (code 7-1775). (the schematic line is broken)

Part #40 (code 7-1755) appears to show 6 belleview springs (the schematic's line is broken)

Part #87 and Part#40 are different in my opinion.....but both serve the same purpose.

I spoke to Glenn Pamaran about this reel. He said that Part #40 was used in later versions of the reel as a substitute for #87.

I found part#42, #39 and some #40's on ebay so I'll play with it again when I get them.