ANy Penn reels on a do not buy list? or buy for sure?

Started by Rickb, April 27, 2017, 01:31:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickb

Hi again
   naturally I have more  questions ;D
  Is there a list or where can I find out which used reels to avoid buying
hate to buy them and find out parts are unavailable .

ideas of best ones to grab if I see them? penn or other type.

Any books I should buy about repairs or info about value of certain reels?
So I don't rob myself :o
   I don't have a clue!
   thanks Rick b

Bryan Young

Quote from: Rickb on April 27, 2017, 01:31:19 AM
Hi again

What are you planning to fish for with these reels?  For example, finding a good old 420SS or 430SS spinner is a great buy.  They are strong and if fished within the line specifications on the reel, and properly cleaned and serviced regularly, will last a few lifetimes.  One of the best ultra light and light reels out there.  Parts are still around for now, but you may never need it.

All older reels will eventually run out of parts, but some of the classic Senators and Jigmasters will have parts as the reels are still made today.  But you have to like those reels.  For me, I'm starting to move away from single speed reels and converting to 2 speed reels.  I'm not sure if parts will be available, but I don't think I would not need a replacement part for the new torque reels if I fish them within it's limits because they are so well built.

Quote from: Rickb on April 27, 2017, 01:31:19 AMAny books I should buy about repairs?

There's a book out there that I know of, but as I recall, the information was taken from here.  So if you want a source on paper, I suggest printing the tutorials from our site.  Our site was created to help everyone, including yourself to repair reels.

Quote from: Rickb on April 27, 2017, 01:31:19 AMAny books I should buy about value of certain reels?

There are books about antique reels but are usually outdated by the time it's published.  Values is as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

I hope it helps, but probably not.  Good luck in your quest and adventure.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Maxed Out

Most the old Penn's are built to last generations. Just avoid plastic spools as they are prone to breakage. Once you narrow down your options you can do advanced search on eBay in sold section and see what the average selling prices are.

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Shark Hunter

Not Sure what reels you are looking at Rick, but the tried and true Penn Senator will be around long after I am gone.
My Personal Favorite. From the 1/0 to the 16/0. They have stood the test of time, I fish them whenever I get the chance. ;)
Life is Good!

Decker

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 27, 2017, 04:38:45 AM
Most the old Penn's are built to last generations. Just avoid plastic spools as they are prone to breakage.

The bakelite plastic spools actually cast very well on Squidders, and can be bought for about 1/3 the price of aluminum ones.  Chromed brass or stainless steel spools are to be avoided for casting because their heaviness causes too much inertia for starting and stopping the cast.   True, they can be fragile; mainly they get chipped when dropped uninstalled from the  reel.  Also shrinkage of monofilament can break the plastic spools, and the solution is to put some dacron line on the spool first.  Aluminum spools are all-around best.  Chromed brass spool finishes tend to corrode, but can still be used.

What kind of fishing are you doing?

thorhammer

As above, depends on your intended purpose: tinkering, collecting, actually fishing. Any of the classics are worth having and most can be found parts for. I'd avoid things like the 220GTO, newer Made in china stuff that is now discontinued and had poor reviews.

Rickb

hi again
  thanks all for the replys
   At the present time can't go and fish, wife isn't doing well and needs someone around.
So I guess for now it's mainly just tinkering.
    In the future I need to catch sharks and a few other fish and need a few Reels for the lil tiny 5to15 ft ones  ;D and one heck of a reel for a whale shark!
  I live in Oklahoma and not a lot of saltwater gear is used for the fishing here I like the open faced for dams and in a boat for Reels it's abu's
        I don't use over a 30 size have a few okuma and a squall here now but did use a few 50 sea lines years ago dam fishing
        Dont really know what to start with ,should I start with penn 6/0-9/0 senators or smaller? or go big ?
   I will end up using for fishing hopefully and/or collection eventually and will need to make a tank or two  ::)
   Rick b

Bryan Young

Start with a jigmaster. Simple and abundance of parts.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bill B

Rick, I would start with one of the Squidders...great size for what you are doing.......the smaller Senators 110, 111, 112 (black side plates) or a 112H or 113H (red side plates).....if you are looking for a levelwind the 310GTI or 320GTI are great reels.....parts are readily available for all above and can be used in salt water depending on your target.  If sharks are on the menu minimum 113H and the 115L would be better....but then I'm a Penn guy.......Bill

And as Bryan has stated the Jigmaster in any size 501, 500 would do just about everything.....
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

ez2cdave

Quote from: Rickb on April 27, 2017, 01:31:19 AM
Hi again

Any books I should buy about repairs or info about value of certain reels?
So I don't rob myself :o
   I don't have a clue!
   thanks Rick b

Hi, Rick !

Personally, I would stay away from the "rebranded" Chinese that Penn is selling today, under the Penn name ( Especially their spinning reels ) . . . Stick with the older "Made in the USA" reels and you can't go wrong !

Tight Lines !

Rickb

I figured out PayPal and ebay ::)
  SO got on eBay and won bid on a Penn 114H ($26)and a 9/0 ($75)payed with PayPal they need to get here quick !!!!!
Next time I will take more time to look things over before I bid ,but I had to grab something now ;D
  RIck

broadway

Hope you fish for large species because you bought some stout gear.  Welcome aboard and glad to see you got the fever.
I'm with Daron on the Senators... tried and true!
Enjoy and let us know if you get hung up, lots of talent around here.
Stay fishy,
Dom

Rickb

Quote from: broadway on April 30, 2017, 03:10:29 AM
Hope you fish for large species because you bought some stout gear.  Welcome aboard and glad to see you got the fever.
I'm with Daron on the Senators... tried and true!
Enjoy and let us know if you get hung up, lots of talent around here.
Stay fishy,
Dom
Thanks
I needed something to work on thought they may make good starters! WHY oh WHY aren't they here YET...I'm ready to tear them down!

;D Bought the 9/0 to see if I can catch one of the shiner minnows in the creek in back yard. I plan on filling it with thread lol. Sure hope they don't spool me!
wonder how many miles of thread it will hold?
on a serious note it's not anything I would fish here in Oklahoma but maybe saltwater later
   I need a 12/0 next ::) ::)
my most used reels are lil ol abu's that are fine, and something bigger is easier on my eyes to work on

I may need to put a magnifying light  on my list and still need a bearing packer ,perhaps a few more tools

Get ready when I get hung up You'll hear me whining for help!!!!
and I whine loud! LOL
   Rick b

Donnyboat

Hi rick B, those two reels will catch almost any fish you want, unless your going after sail fish or tuna in deep water, so your set up pretty well, by the time you service them, for any larger reels, just be paitient, dont rush some reels will show up one day, give it time.  good luck, cheers don.
Don, or donnyboat

Benni3

4/0h is a great reel for freshwater and saltwater 600yd  80lb power pro ,,,,it all comes down to your leader for what kind of fish you are targeting)>>^;>