Prices of vintage Dam Quick reels going up !

Started by SilverRidge, April 28, 2017, 05:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Quote from: Midway Tommy on July 05, 2018, 05:10:54 AM
My past research has found that a lot of those type crazy prices never actually get paid for and close. Sometimes it's a shill pushing the price up, sometimes there's buyer's remorse and the don't pay, etc., etc. I've gone back later and checked feedback on outrageous sales like those but a lot of times there isn't any evidence of the sale, and sometimes the reel gets relisted in a couple of weeks. You never know for sure whether those type sales are legit or not. A lot of times, not. 
And sometimes I think it could possibly be EBUI.  Ebaying under the influence.   ::)

festus

Lately, particularly the last 6-8 weeks the supply of D-A-M Quicks has almost dried up on Ebay.  At least on the auction section.  Plenty of overpriced Buy It Now models, however. I have all I'll ever need but still look for bargains or parts reels.

Is this scarcity on account of the holiday season or just low supplies?  If I remember correctly, a year ago there were plenty out there.

Swami805

I haunt the Newell section a fair amount and it's like an ebb and flow, at times there's plenty with some bargains and other times it's dry. Likely the same with Dam Quicks. The season can effect it too.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

theswimmer

I donno ....
Fleabay is not a great source for bargains .
I think you are more likely to get a good deal from Randy at Vintage Offshore .
Or PM Fred , you might be surprised at what he has for sale .
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Benni3

Work sent me to st Augustine,,,,the bait tackle shop only had over priced junk,,, >:( but the rod and reel on the wall look nice and said how much $100 :) the girl said that's my grandma's  ;) I'll call her but no luck and my co worker said why you want that antique,,,,, :D you want to see a alligator that dam quick with the tomato post is the only thing here that can do it  ;D

Gobi King

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

foakes

Any of the old vintage QUALITY spinning reels from earlier than about 1980 — will appreciate in value.

Good examples are Penn, ABU & Zebco Cardinals, D.A.M. Quick, Mitchell to a certain extent (although the giant amount of Mitchell reels manufactured will keep the price down for a while longer, IMO), and others as long as they are quality metal, and parts are overbuilt and possibly still available.

As more folks learn about the quality, simplicity, and proven longevity of these old spinners — they are more than greatly appreciated.

For many years now, a lot of collectors basically looked down upon spinners — even though they have been responsible for more new anglers and fish caught then the conventionals.

Spinners have been popular for nearly 70 years now — and most folks have realized that there is a place for both conventional and spinners.

And the angling world, as well as the collecting world — reflects this new viewpoint.

One peave that bugs me — folks on eBay who have little or no interest or investment in tackle — selling Penn, DQ, Mitchell, and ABU parts for ripoff prices.  Examples are springs for $5, or screws for a buck each, or gears and bearing sets for $20-$30. 

Of course, demand and recent buying history dictate prices — as they always will.

It is always good to not follow my advice — buy high and sell low...

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: foakes on December 31, 2018, 07:59:13 PM
Any of the old vintage QUALITY spinning reels from earlier than about 1980 — will appreciate in value.

Good examples are Penn, ABU & Zebco Cardinals, D.A.M. Quick, Mitchell to a certain extent (although the giant amount of Mitchell reels manufactured will keep the price down for a while longer, IMO), and others as long as they are quality metal, and parts are overbuilt and possibly still available.

As more folks learn about the quality, simplicity, and proven longevity of these old spinners — they are more than greatly appreciated.

For many years now, a lot of collectors basically looked down upon spinners — even though they have been responsible for more new anglers and fish caught then the conventionals.

Spinners have been popular for nearly 70 years now — and most folks have realized that there is a place for both conventional and spinners.

And the angling world, as well as the collecting world — reflects this new viewpoint.

One peave that bugs me — folks on eBay who have little or no interest or investment in tackle — selling Penn, DQ, Mitchell, and ABU parts for ripoff prices.  Examples are springs for $5, or screws for a buck each, or gears and bearing sets for $20-$30. 

Of course, demand and recent buying history dictate prices — as they always will.

It is always good to not follow my advice — buy high and sell low...
Best,

Fred

See what I mean... ;D  Luv ya Fred.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: festus on December 30, 2018, 10:43:41 PM
Lately, particularly the last 6-8 weeks the supply of D-A-M Quicks has almost dried up on Ebay.  At least on the auction section.  Plenty of overpriced Buy It Now models, however. I have all I'll ever need but still look for bargains or parts reels.

Is this scarcity on account of the holiday season or just low supplies?  If I remember correctly, a year ago there were plenty out there.

Most of the older quality spinning reel inventory on da Bay is very cyclical. In the winter it's too cold and the weather is too inconsistent for the garage & yard salers to be out & about finding new discoveries to market, except maybe in CA, FL, TX, etc. About the only people selling new finds right now are those that deal in tackle buying by advertising. Inventory will start to pick up again in a month or two.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

TJAndrews

Quote from: foakes on December 31, 2018, 07:59:13 PM

At least some parts are available, even at inflated prices. Not so with everything. My brother has an old Zebco 733F that had been a treasured gift from someone who is no longer with us. He caught his line on a rock last August and stripped the drive gear set. (Wouldn't have happened with a DAM Quick, but he doesn't care for spinners.)

I did my research, found the part number, and started searching. No luck. Some listed the part, but were out of stock. Mike's listed the part for $.99, but shipping was nearly $10! But that was the only place I found that wasn't out of stock, so I ordered one. (Hey, it's my brother!)

Two days later I get an email that they too are out of stock, and since it's no longer being made, they won't get any more. I had to give my brother the bad news. I really hate disappointing him like that.

mo65

Quote from: TJAndrews on January 01, 2019, 01:12:52 PM
I did my research, found the part number, and started searching. No luck. Some listed the part, but were out of stock. Mike's listed the part for $.99, but shipping was nearly $10!

TJ, set up a search on eBay, you can probably buy a whole 733 for the price of that part plus shipping. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gobi King

Fred, We appreciate you taking the time to educate us, I never knew the brand existed before I read the posts here. You are absolute correct, demand and supply.
It only takes 2 bidder to run up an item. I stay away from those.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan