Prices of vintage Dam Quick reels going up !

Started by SilverRidge, April 28, 2017, 05:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basenjib123

Quote from: oc1 on March 04, 2019, 06:59:09 AM
I chalk it up to Northeast surf casters.  Spinfishers were a huge hit with them and were THE spinner for long time.  Yeah, a cult, clubby sort of thing.  Sort of like that video we recently saw of casting 49 and 49A's for yellowtail in Australia.  Everybody had one. 

The Northeast surfcasters seemed to get a lot of attention and notoriety, especially when it came to Penn.  I grew up shorefishing along the Gulf, but we kept close tabs on what was going on in the Northeast and South Florida because that's where new equipment and techniques seemed to emanate from.

To this day, I'd pick and pay triple for a greenie over a DAM,  It's only because that's what I was conditioned to do by our cult/clubby group.  Yeah.... weird.

-steve

I live in the Northeast and I think you are probably right.  This area is steeped in the sport of surf casting and likely explains a lot of it.

festus

This D-A-M Quick 220N brought $102.53 a little while ago.  :o   No box, paperwork, or extra springs or other parts.

nagant

That is crazy, Spring fever?  I think if i lost out at $100 I'd probably grab a BIN i saw for $30 but it's still there.
Brice

foakes

Remember, it's eBay — amateur buyers who get caught up in the fever.

Just do what Tommy does — stay calm — no drama — wait for a decent and fair BIN on a reel you want.

If not today — tomorrow, next week, or next month. 

Patience.

If we want to know the real number — just take the last 10 of the same type and condition reel you want from the "SOLD" listings over the last 30 days, or so — toss out the lowest and highest — average the other 8 — that is your target number.  Anything less than that is good — a little more for the right reel is OK.  But you have useful knowledge at this point — not emotion.

With rare exceptions for one of a kind, or limited collector pieces — There are almost always — more reels.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

nagant

doesn't hurt to ask either, just bought a reel while looking at the one Festus posted ::) :)
Brice

Midway Tommy

Fred is correct, & thanks for the compliment, Fred!

Patience, and knowledge, are the keys. For mass produced models there will almost always be another one show up, and many times one in better condition. If a person is going to buy at auction without personally fondling the item there are a few photo tricks to look for like bad lighting, blurred photos, not photographing one side or area, etc. Those lessons are are learned. I've been lucky. In over 20 years & 700+ purchases I've only had 4 or 5 that I wish I could have back, and all of those issues, once I received the items were things that should have been caught by me. Some people ask for refunds but I figure if I should have looked closer it's my fault. Describing "new" when it's "used" is a whole different story, though.

Now, with all that said, I have been known to, on a few purchases that completed a specific line, pay too much for something I wanted badly. My thinking was "now I can mark that off the list and don't have to look for it any more". The ironic thing is that in a couple of those instances one just as nice came up down the road for a little bit better price. That's all part of collecting, though.  ;)   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

nagant

All good points Tommy! I collected camp stoves and lanterns and bought a few i shoulda looked at pic's closer too!  If they don't show a main feature it's probably buggered up unless they are very unfamiliar with it so best to ask or pass.
Brice

festus

Seems to be a shortage of spools for the 220.  I've seen a couple of our members looking to buy this item with no luck.  There has been one of these spools listed on the auction for almost eight bucks plus more than four bucks shipping.  Wouldn't be a bad deal if it wasn't chipped badly.  Maybe the retainer, spool shaft, drag washers, clicker and springs are intact, but the drag knob is discolored.  In the long run it's probably best just to buy a parts reel.

festus

Quote from: nagant on March 08, 2019, 12:04:41 PM
doesn't hurt to ask either, just bought a reel while looking at the one Festus posted ::) :)
If it's the reel I'm thinking of, you got a good deal!