Spinfisher V 6500LL nonfunctioning LiveLiner

Started by ReelFishingProblems, April 30, 2017, 11:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

Greetings gear gurus,

I have read every tutorial I can find on the LiveLiner mechanism in the Spinfisher V series and can't find an answer to my debacle.

I bought this reel used for a good price (the seller was open about the LL not working) when I engage the LiveLiner function nothing changes and the front drag is still engaged. When I begin to reel sometimes the trip works and closes the LL lever, but more than half of the time it doesn't.

I took the reel apart using the tutorial on MysticParts. The blue grease had turned light blue and chunky (salt water intrusion?) I took everything apart, cleaned it up and regreased it. Put it all back together and still no luck, same situation.

Does anyone know what causes this?
Also the #85 washer in my rear drag assembly is just a plastic like material. On the tutorial for the older slammer LiveLiner it appeared to be CF. Is my washer an aftermarket oops?

Thanks for any help you can provide (except should have bought baitrunner  :) )

Nick

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

twotone

The 8500LL and 4500LL I have serviced are CF #85. There is a plastic washer 83A ,but it is installed on the rear drag ratchet 83. I had the same problem on a 8500LL. Checked schematic disassemble and reassemble.
I think mine was in the trip lever assembly.
twotone

handi2

I had one that came back on me when it seemed to work fine. I had replaced the rear drag ratchet but that didnt do it.

If you look closely at the dog mechanism it has to easily slide back and forth. If the dog is worn too much it will work sometimes but mostly not. I replaced the dog and it is fine now.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

nick, looks like the relocation went well.  kids are good? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ReelFishingProblems

Well the wife was off visiting a cousin so I tinkered for a few hours (5-6) and found the dog was worn a little causing a taper. This caused some slippage. I adjusted the tightness of the screws a bit (I think this is where it went wrong initially, too tight on one and loose on the other) it works 90% of the time. I need to order a replacement part to fix it for good.

Alan, the move went great except the first day. Drove from Monterey to Palm Springs after hitting the weigh station (reimbursement for self moved items). Sadie must have been a little sick (again, luckily she didn't get anyone else sick this time) she threw up 3 times on the drive. When we got to Palm Springs I found a laundromat to wash her car seat cover and spent the night cleaning out the car so the next day wouldn't be too hard. We made the cross country trip in 4 days driving, with a two day stop in Austin, Tx for Christmas.

The family is well adjusted now and they love their new schools. Work is great and very enriching. I'm still learning how to fish the Tampa bay but luckily there is some great AlanTani.com family here. You truly have created a global network of family. I'm heading to Oman in a few weeks. Trying to get a few hours to fish, either way I will take some photos to upload.

alantani

livin' the life!  and thank you again for your service to our country!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!