Which jigging rods for Okuma Metaloid reels ?

Started by strathy, May 04, 2017, 12:45:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strathy

Hi Kil Song,
Hope you can help me out. I,m a UK based boat angler looking for two jigging/bait rods for using with a Metaloid 5II loaded with 40lb Tasline hollow  and 12II loaded with 60lb Tasline hollow.
I would like 2 piece if possible, for ease of transport.
Main species I,m fishing for are pollock, ling, cod and halibut, to 55/60lb on the lighter outfit, with jigs of 150-250g or 5-8oz of lead and bait, and common skate, and blue and porbeagle sharks with the heavier outfit, using 250-450g jigs or 10-24oz of lead and big baits.
I like the look of the cape cod slow jig rods for the lighter outfit but not sure whats best for the heavier one.
Any help you could give would be gratefully accepted.
Do you have a Uk distributor ?
Thanks Mike

ksong

I recommend two-piece Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch 632 or 661 jigging rod for halibut or cod. We used those light rod to catch halibut up to 150 lb in Alaska last year. For big shark, I recommend two-piece Black Hole Cape Cod 150g - 250g jigging rods if you prefer two-piece rods.

strathy

ksong

But I recommend one-piece 150g or 250g jigging rod as the joint is always weak point though we didn't have any issue yet.
Here is the 150g(one-piece) action video with 240 lb and 270 lb halibut.

strathy

Hi KilSong, I,ve noticed that the one piece 250g rods come as a 5ft 8inch blank but only a 5ft 4inch build. Is it possible to build the blanks to the full 5ft 8inch ?

ksong

Quote from: strathy on May 28, 2017, 02:10:45 PM
Hi KilSong, I,ve noticed that the one piece 250g rods come as a 5ft 8inch blank but only a 5ft 4inch build. Is it possible to build the blanks to the full 5ft 8inch ?
Some like 5'8".