Help Id a penn reel , "Old Penn reel with aftermarket backlash adjustment"

Started by oldmanjoe, May 09, 2017, 06:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

Quote from: oc1 on May 17, 2017, 09:17:30 PM
Well, I'll be darned.  Great job Joe.  The line runs through the wire, not over it.
-steve

Correct ..     I am sum what surprized that there are not more of these around ....  joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

I am google out ... I tryed to see if john had any more patents ,production numbers,or advertiments , all dead ends so far....    joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Robert Janssen on May 11, 2017, 07:50:53 AM
Actually, the strange thing here is that two of you have found two anti-backlash devices that are similar to each other.

There are dozens of patents from the '40s thru the '70s for these types of devices, seemingly mostly by entrepreneurial, non-company guys. Many or most have some sort of wire pivoting tension sensing bar out front. Some are long, some are short, some are big, some are small, some are complicated, others not.

The ones we have seen pictures of here is more similar to the works of Paul Di Cicco patent US3532288 than others. Not identical, but close. Bear in mind that details can change as an inventor continues to develop things.

Again, there are dozens of these devices and modifications, so I wouldn't be so sure as to pin the blame on Paul Di Cicco just yet, but it is a good place to start looking for those interested. I gotta add though, that among all the high-tech gizmos people have come up with, one of the most clever must be US7540441 to Jaclyn Caswell.

Before i foget  Thank you Robert for sparking the idea to look at patents.
  "Bear in mind that details can change as an inventor continues to develop things"
That seams to be true here also ,pretending to the arm detail  "bar spring verses thumb wheel screw to hold adjustments"

I am at the cross road  which one do i make ,maybe i will make one of each... :)
    Anybody have any junk drag washers, looking for both keyed and non keyed washers .     Example  drag washers from 130 pin reel for the key--  .187 bore/.
    .142 between the flats.    the non key i am looking for  .250 bore and any outside dia   .500-.600 will work.     
thanks joe

foakes

Great work, Joe & Others --

Now someone needs to do a search on Mr. Pasanen -- could be that a search would reveal much more -- including maybe a son or daughter that may have more information -- and maybe even other interesting things -- including a complete kit for a Penn reel.

His skill and talents should be showcased, whether he has passed on, or is still with us.

Depends on what the family is comfortable with.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

oldmanjoe

Fred i tyed searching all infomation ,all dead ends so far ...other than he may have passed away in 1979.      I did pass on the info to my father ,just in case he may know who possibley gave him the reel , with a slight possible of family connection.    But i won`t under estimate the powers of others who have far better computor skills....joe

oldmanjoe

Quote from: sdlehr on May 18, 2017, 03:33:08 PM
This "might" be the guy http://1940-census.mooseroots.com/l/102119697/John-Pasanen
Sid   I belive this is him .    I belive he move from the city to Merrick long Island       === Can`t back that with Merirk records......   Any Facebook Magicains ?

Bill B

This is turning into a Sherlock Holmes Novel.....great work guys....I am enjoying this immensely.     Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

oldmanjoe

When to the hard ware store and pick up some brass stock ,064-1" strip and .094 rod.
  Made 2 arms and 1 bail still in the rough .....I will not finish them untill i make the rest of the parts and fit them..  joe

Robert Janssen

Quote from: oldmanjoe on May 18, 2017, 03:13:39 PM

Before i forget  Thank you Robert for sparking the idear to look at patents.

You're welcome. One can often find out a lot that way. Not always though. I noticed that Pasanen was cited in the Di Cicco patent.

oldmanjoe

A lttle more progress.   trying to make the ratchet gear,still need to cut them out of the stock yet.   I am leaving a blank in one qurdrent to drill and tap for the anker screw on the clock spring.                Just like the original plan..    joe          /patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pages/US2607547-1.png

oldmanjoe

A little more progress two  rachets and a lock strap made out of brass instead of spring steel.
     Brazed the bail to the arm ,than the mishap happen , too hot and one ear drops off .      Reposition the arm and built up the missing ear, and tied in the bail wire .
    A lot more file work but i think it will clean up, if not i just make another one...   joe

sdlehr

I'm impressed, Joe, both with your talents working with these materials as well as your tenacity to see this through. Well done.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

oldmanjoe

Thank you Sid ...     I am wondering what this reels are worth .        Seeing that you can buy them basic for 25 -40 dollars.
   I am just intrigued with the working of them ,and i don`t surf cast.  joe

RowdyW

Joe, you might want to try silver solder. It's quite tough and melts at a little lower temperature then brass rod.            Rudy