alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Help Id a penn reel , "Old Penn reel with aftermarket backlash adjustment"
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
December 16, 2019, 05:50:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Id a penn reel , "Old Penn reel with aftermarket backlash adjustment"  (Read 33114 times)
oldmanjoe

« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2017, 06:38:21 PM »

I have some silver  solder ,i will have to try it ..   thanks Rudy.      joe

Grandpa`s word of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
sdlehr

« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2017, 06:42:35 PM »

I am wondering what these reels are worth .       
Not nearly as much as the time you have put into it....

Sid

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector
oldmanjoe

« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2017, 07:05:31 PM »

Grin  Labor of love.....
  Has any one used this spray on crome plating on reels yet ?   

Grandpa`s word of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
Benni3

« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2017, 11:36:19 PM »

I do paint and body work and I have look in to this but it is very expensive and may just look like dull aluminum ,,ppg,, is a major paint company thay tryed but failed at making chrome paint.
oldmanjoe

« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2017, 05:07:47 AM »

So this is more like the crome spray paint you can get in the hardware for 6-8 dollars  ?   Another words still a paint base and not chemical strong ?  joe

sdlehr

« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2017, 05:39:44 AM »

So this is more like the crome spray paint you can get in the hardware for 6-8 dollars  ?   Another words still a paint base and not chemical strong ?  joe
INteresting process. I would guess that it is more than a chrome paint; clearly there is a chemical reaction occurring on the surface of what is being "painted". For me, the test would be scratch-resistance. I'm guessing the surface coat isn't very hard; not nearly as hard as plating.... but it would appear to be quite glossy.

Sid

Sid Lehr
Benni3

« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2017, 10:48:24 PM »

So this is more like the crome spray paint you can get in the hardware for 6-8 dollars  ?   Another words still a paint base and not chemical strong ?  joe
INteresting process. I would guess that it is more than a chrome paint; clearly there is a chemical reaction occurring on the surface of what is being "painted". For me, the test would be scratch-resistance. I'm guessing the surface coat isn't very hard; not nearly as hard as plating.... but it would appear to be quite glossy.

Sid
it is a little bit better than a hardware spray can,,,alsa at $55.00 for 4oz  and then you clear coat it with automotive clear,,,so it's as scratch resistance as you car,,,i would love to do a rod blank for my 9/0 with this stuff just to see what it really looks like dry not wet like in all the pictures
 any rod builders here  Cheesy

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 12:55:24 AM by Benni3 » Logged
oldmanjoe

« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2017, 01:47:25 PM »

Grin  All part`s made for the original handle design .     Pretty much the shapes and contorts are there , the lock bar is a little longer than i wanted .    But i need to keep it a long and thin it down to get it springy...              I have most of the parts for the later design handle made , still got to make the lock plate...       Some pictures ....
The 4 40 screw looks a little to big , but that is what i have to work with ....
When i get a chance to do some long cast , i will hang it on "fruit loops "  a 9 foot stick..      Just too many trees ,windows and wind shields in the neighbor hood ....     
Once i feel this works well enough ,i will finish sanding and polish the h---  out of it .     joe

* IMG_0286.JPG (60.05 KB, 640x480 - viewed 163 times.)

* IMG_0290.JPG (57.35 KB, 640x480 - viewed 156 times.)

* IMG_0292.JPG (85.13 KB, 640x480 - viewed 153 times.)

* IMG_0295.JPG (156.36 KB, 640x480 - viewed 161 times.)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 06:52:40 PM by oldmanjoe » Logged

foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2017, 05:47:17 PM »

Superior effort and work, Joe --

Best,

Fred

Patience...and the rewards that come with it -- need to be experienced...otherwise, it isn't patience!

What's the difference between a worthwhile plan and a vision?

Your good, worthwhile  plan will always keep changing...However, a good vision will always remain constant and unchanging...
oldmanjoe

« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2017, 07:43:38 PM »

Superior effort and work, Joe --

Best,

Fred

Fred I can not thank you enough for all your information and your pictures ....
   Have you had the chance to do some test casting yet ?     Interested to see how many adjustments you may need for varying conditions .
   Just finished making the second arm with the sliding lock assembly ....    Now all that is left is to sand and polish all the parts...      More pic     Again thank you .   joe

* IMG_0296.JPG (56.8 KB, 640x480 - viewed 158 times.)

* IMG_0297.JPG (59.31 KB, 640x480 - viewed 155 times.)

* IMG_0298.JPG (68.31 KB, 640x480 - viewed 157 times.)

* IMG_0300.JPG (52.41 KB, 640x480 - viewed 153 times.)

oc1
Sensei

« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2017, 11:37:55 PM »

You do nice work Joe.
-steve
Tightlines666
Sensei

« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2017, 12:20:30 AM »

I'm impressed.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.
sdlehr

« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2017, 05:48:35 AM »

You do nice work Joe.
-steve
I'm impressed.
x2, x2

Sid Lehr
oldmanjoe

« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2017, 06:11:35 AM »

Thank you Gentlemen       Glad it was not a waste 14 dollars worth of brass......
  I sill wonder what the original price was for this add on device ......and how many are around  ?
  Wonder what it is worth?Huh?   
   joe

foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2017, 08:14:08 AM »

The original Anti-Backlash device you modded yours after, Joe -- works very well -- no backlash at all in five casts.

No idea what the price point for the device would have been in 1952, or so.

Do know that a Squidder sold for $25 FTV, and a Surfmaster was the "Poor Man's Squidder" -- that sold for around $14 -- $15 in those days.

My loose suspicion would be that the kit -- (if even available separately, or even mass produced as a kit, would be in the $15 - $20 range) -- plus knowledgeable installation labor.

If these were ever offered as an add-on -- it could be that the only way to get it was to go to the source, or to go to a tackle repair shop that handled these on a limited basis for surfcaster anglers.

There would be some specialized, precise, and delicate installation work required -- not everybody could or would be able to install it properly -- without ruining the tail-plate.

There are still too many pieces of this puzzle missing to know very much more -- without finding a relative, co-worker, installation directions, owners manual, advertisement, original kit, etc...just guesses on our part.

I also suspect that since there are so few of these around (2 or 3?) that they were not widely distributed -- just as more of a specific item for those wanting one.

The fact, that-- as a knowledgeable group of Penn collectors -- we have seen so few of these -- leads me to think they were a clever and good idea -- that for any one of a dozen reasons -- were not mass marketed.

As to current price, like with anything of collector value -- any $$$ number is pure conjecture -- until one sells the item -- then the exact price is known for that day.  And these prices can vary quicker than the weather.

Again, great craftsmanship, Joe.

Best,

Fred

Patience...and the rewards that come with it -- need to be experienced...otherwise, it isn't patience!

What's the difference between a worthwhile plan and a vision?

Your good, worthwhile  plan will always keep changing...However, a good vision will always remain constant and unchanging...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: