alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Help Id a penn reel , "Old Penn reel with aftermarket backlash adjustment"
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
August 17, 2019, 05:32:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Id a penn reel , "Old Penn reel with aftermarket backlash adjustment"  (Read 28471 times)
oldmanjoe

« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2017, 06:38:21 PM »

I have some silver  solder ,i will have to try it ..   thanks Rudy.      joe

Grandpa`s word of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
sdlehr

« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2017, 06:42:35 PM »

I am wondering what these reels are worth .       
Not nearly as much as the time you have put into it....

Sid

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector
oldmanjoe

« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2017, 07:05:31 PM »

Grin  Labor of love.....
  Has any one used this spray on crome plating on reels yet ?   

Grandpa`s word of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
Benni3

« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2017, 11:36:19 PM »

I do paint and body work and I have look in to this but it is very expensive and may just look like dull aluminum ,,ppg,, is a major paint company thay tryed but failed at making chrome paint.
oldmanjoe

« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2017, 05:07:47 AM »

So this is more like the crome spray paint you can get in the hardware for 6-8 dollars  ?   Another words still a paint base and not chemical strong ?  joe

sdlehr

« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2017, 05:39:44 AM »

So this is more like the crome spray paint you can get in the hardware for 6-8 dollars  ?   Another words still a paint base and not chemical strong ?  joe
INteresting process. I would guess that it is more than a chrome paint; clearly there is a chemical reaction occurring on the surface of what is being "painted". For me, the test would be scratch-resistance. I'm guessing the surface coat isn't very hard; not nearly as hard as plating.... but it would appear to be quite glossy.

Sid

Sid Lehr
Benni3

« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2017, 10:48:24 PM »

So this is more like the crome spray paint you can get in the hardware for 6-8 dollars  ?   Another words still a paint base and not chemical strong ?  joe
INteresting process. I would guess that it is more than a chrome paint; clearly there is a chemical reaction occurring on the surface of what is being "painted". For me, the test would be scratch-resistance. I'm guessing the surface coat isn't very hard; not nearly as hard as plating.... but it would appear to be quite glossy.

Sid
it is a little bit better than a hardware spray can,,,alsa at $55.00 for 4oz  and then you clear coat it with automotive clear,,,so it's as scratch resistance as you car,,,i would love to do a rod blank for my 9/0 with this stuff just to see what it really looks like dry not wet like in all the pictures
 any rod builders here  Cheesy

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 12:55:24 AM by Benni3 » Logged
oldmanjoe

« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2017, 01:47:25 PM »

Grin  All part`s made for the original handle design .     Pretty much the shapes and contorts are there , the lock bar is a little longer than i wanted .    But i need to keep it a long and thin it down to get it springy...              I have most of the parts for the later design handle made , still got to make the lock plate...       Some pictures ....
The 4 40 screw looks a little to big , but that is what i have to work with ....
When i get a chance to do some long cast , i will hang it on "fruit loops "  a 9 foot stick..      Just too many trees ,windows and wind shields in the neighbor hood ....     
Once i feel this works well enough ,i will finish sanding and polish the h---  out of it .     joe

* IMG_0286.JPG (60.05 KB, 640x480 - viewed 148 times.)

* IMG_0290.JPG (57.35 KB, 640x480 - viewed 143 times.)

* IMG_0292.JPG (85.13 KB, 640x480 - viewed 140 times.)

* IMG_0295.JPG (156.36 KB, 640x480 - viewed 148 times.)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 06:52:40 PM by oldmanjoe » Logged

foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2017, 05:47:17 PM »

Superior effort and work, Joe --

Best,

Fred

“A Smooth Sea Never Made a Skillful Sailor”.

There are ten reasons to consider when choosing your next fishing reel.

The first is to pick a reel you like — The other nine reasons don’t matter.
oldmanjoe

« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2017, 07:43:38 PM »

Superior effort and work, Joe --

Best,

Fred

Fred I can not thank you enough for all your information and your pictures ....
   Have you had the chance to do some test casting yet ?     Interested to see how many adjustments you may need for varying conditions .
   Just finished making the second arm with the sliding lock assembly ....    Now all that is left is to sand and polish all the parts...      More pic     Again thank you .   joe

* IMG_0296.JPG (56.8 KB, 640x480 - viewed 144 times.)

* IMG_0297.JPG (59.31 KB, 640x480 - viewed 143 times.)

* IMG_0298.JPG (68.31 KB, 640x480 - viewed 146 times.)

* IMG_0300.JPG (52.41 KB, 640x480 - viewed 142 times.)

oc1
Sensei

« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2017, 11:37:55 PM »

You do nice work Joe.
-steve
Tightlines666
Sensei

« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2017, 12:20:30 AM »

I'm impressed.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.
sdlehr

« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2017, 05:48:35 AM »

You do nice work Joe.
-steve
I'm impressed.
x2, x2

Sid Lehr
oldmanjoe

« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2017, 06:11:35 AM »

Thank you Gentlemen       Glad it was not a waste 14 dollars worth of brass......
  I sill wonder what the original price was for this add on device ......and how many are around  ?
  Wonder what it is worth?Huh?   
   joe

foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2017, 08:14:08 AM »

The original Anti-Backlash device you modded yours after, Joe -- works very well -- no backlash at all in five casts.

No idea what the price point for the device would have been in 1952, or so.

Do know that a Squidder sold for $25 FTV, and a Surfmaster was the "Poor Man's Squidder" -- that sold for around $14 -- $15 in those days.

My loose suspicion would be that the kit -- (if even available separately, or even mass produced as a kit, would be in the $15 - $20 range) -- plus knowledgeable installation labor.

If these were ever offered as an add-on -- it could be that the only way to get it was to go to the source, or to go to a tackle repair shop that handled these on a limited basis for surfcaster anglers.

There would be some specialized, precise, and delicate installation work required -- not everybody could or would be able to install it properly -- without ruining the tail-plate.

There are still too many pieces of this puzzle missing to know very much more -- without finding a relative, co-worker, installation directions, owners manual, advertisement, original kit, etc...just guesses on our part.

I also suspect that since there are so few of these around (2 or 3?) that they were not widely distributed -- just as more of a specific item for those wanting one.

The fact, that-- as a knowledgeable group of Penn collectors -- we have seen so few of these -- leads me to think they were a clever and good idea -- that for any one of a dozen reasons -- were not mass marketed.

As to current price, like with anything of collector value -- any $$$ number is pure conjecture -- until one sells the item -- then the exact price is known for that day.  And these prices can vary quicker than the weather.

Again, great craftsmanship, Joe.

Best,

Fred

“A Smooth Sea Never Made a Skillful Sailor”.

There are ten reasons to consider when choosing your next fishing reel.

The first is to pick a reel you like — The other nine reasons don’t matter.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: