Help Id a penn reel , "Old Penn reel with aftermarket backlash adjustment"

Started by oldmanjoe, May 09, 2017, 06:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

I have some silver  solder ,i will have to try it ..   thanks Rudy.      joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

sdlehr

Quote from: oldmanjoe on May 21, 2017, 02:04:58 AM
   I am wondering what these reels are worth .       
Not nearly as much as the time you have put into it....

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

oldmanjoe

;D  Labor of love.....
  Has any one used this spray on crome plating on reels yet ?   
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Benni3

I do paint and body work and I have look in to this but it is very expensive and may just look like dull aluminum ,,ppg,, is a major paint company thay tryed but failed at making chrome paint.

oldmanjoe

So this is more like the crome spray paint you can get in the hardware for 6-8 dollars  ?   Another words still a paint base and not chemical strong ?  joe

sdlehr

Quote from: oldmanjoe on May 21, 2017, 01:07:47 PM
   So this is more like the crome spray paint you can get in the hardware for 6-8 dollars  ?   Another words still a paint base and not chemical strong ?  joe
INteresting process. I would guess that it is more than a chrome paint; clearly there is a chemical reaction occurring on the surface of what is being "painted". For me, the test would be scratch-resistance. I'm guessing the surface coat isn't very hard; not nearly as hard as plating.... but it would appear to be quite glossy.

Sid
Sid Lehr

Benni3

Quote from: sdlehr on May 21, 2017, 01:39:44 PM
Quote from: oldmanjoe on May 21, 2017, 01:07:47 PM
  So this is more like the crome spray paint you can get in the hardware for 6-8 dollars  ?   Another words still a paint base and not chemical strong ?  joe
INteresting process. I would guess that it is more than a chrome paint; clearly there is a chemical reaction occurring on the surface of what is being "painted". For me, the test would be scratch-resistance. I'm guessing the surface coat isn't very hard; not nearly as hard as plating.... but it would appear to be quite glossy.

Sid
it is a little bit better than a hardware spray can,,,alsa at $55.00 for 4oz  and then you clear coat it with automotive clear,,,so it's as scratch resistance as you car,,,i would love to do a rod blank for my 9/0 with this stuff just to see what it really looks like dry not wet like in all the pictures
any rod builders here  :D

oldmanjoe

;D  All part`s made for the original handle design .     Pretty much the shapes and contorts are there , the lock bar is a little longer than i wanted .    But i need to keep it a long and thin it down to get it springy...              I have most of the parts for the later design handle made , still got to make the lock plate...       Some pictures ....
The 4 40 screw looks a little to big , but that is what i have to work with ....
When i get a chance to do some long cast , i will hang it on "fruit loops "  a 9 foot stick..      Just too many trees ,windows and wind shields in the neighbor hood ....     
Once i feel this works well enough ,i will finish sanding and polish the h---  out of it .     joe

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: foakes on May 24, 2017, 01:47:17 AM
Superior effort and work, Joe --

Best,

Fred

Fred I can not thank you enough for all your information and your pictures ....
   Have you had the chance to do some test casting yet ?     Interested to see how many adjustments you may need for varying conditions .
   Just finished making the second arm with the sliding lock assembly ....    Now all that is left is to sand and polish all the parts...      More pic     Again thank you .   joe

oc1

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

sdlehr

Sid Lehr

oldmanjoe

Quote from: sdlehr on May 24, 2017, 01:48:35 PM
Quote from: oc1 on May 24, 2017, 07:37:55 AM
You do nice work Joe.
-steve
Quote from: Tightlines666 on May 24, 2017, 08:20:30 AM
I'm impressed.
x2, x2

Thank you Gentlemen       Glad it was not a waste 14 dollars worth of brass......
  I sill wonder what the original price was for this add on device ......and how many are around  ?
  Wonder what it is worth????   
   joe

foakes

The original Anti-Backlash device you modded yours after, Joe -- works very well -- no backlash at all in five casts.

No idea what the price point for the device would have been in 1952, or so.

Do know that a Squidder sold for $25 FTV, and a Surfmaster was the "Poor Man's Squidder" -- that sold for around $14 -- $15 in those days.

My loose suspicion would be that the kit -- (if even available separately, or even mass produced as a kit, would be in the $15 - $20 range) -- plus knowledgeable installation labor.

If these were ever offered as an add-on -- it could be that the only way to get it was to go to the source, or to go to a tackle repair shop that handled these on a limited basis for surfcaster anglers.

There would be some specialized, precise, and delicate installation work required -- not everybody could or would be able to install it properly -- without ruining the tail-plate.

There are still too many pieces of this puzzle missing to know very much more -- without finding a relative, co-worker, installation directions, owners manual, advertisement, original kit, etc...just guesses on our part.

I also suspect that since there are so few of these around (2 or 3?) that they were not widely distributed -- just as more of a specific item for those wanting one.

The fact, that-- as a knowledgeable group of Penn collectors -- we have seen so few of these -- leads me to think they were a clever and good idea -- that for any one of a dozen reasons -- were not mass marketed.

As to current price, like with anything of collector value -- any $$$ number is pure conjecture -- until one sells the item -- then the exact price is known for that day.  And these prices can vary quicker than the weather.

Again, great craftsmanship, Joe.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.