Need Help---Possibly the Penn (Loch Ness Monster) 20/0

Started by Penn Chronology, May 14, 2017, 06:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

QuoteLooks like the gears and washers are just as unique.
Compared to the 116, those are larger, but still smaller than the 16/0, I don't believe there is any part that could be swapped from the later models on this reel.
What  surprised me the most, the metal gear cover and the star. If you look close at the top end of the main gear, tolerance is very tight there.
You would have a hard time trying to get those gears out of alignement, the star design would also help it when buttoned down.

Great observation Sal! The distance between the star wheel and the side plate frame when assembled would have to be measured when the reel is assembled. There is no sleeve used her, the star wheel is the actual pressure plate to the clutch stack. This brings the tolerances to a much higher level than a standard production reel. Possibly not a sustainable design in the real world; but, prototypes usually have these kind of weak links.

I feel the bridge is a custom piece, not Penn and the gear set is from an 118 not 116. Early first gen 118's did have a 12/0 bridge but that did not last too long. IMHO

Rickb

That's impressive!  Some have offered to buy it for $20 plus I'm willing to go $32.50 lol Glad I got to see it!

Oh by the way ,I would like to to borrow that one for the rest of my life... ::)
I think one of nessies offspring lives in a nearby lake :o I feel it may be a danger to folks so   I am willing to catch it but I need a bigger reel!
   Rick

Penn

I sent the pics to the "old heads" here at PENN, they all feel as do I it is not a true PENN.  Very cool to see the pics, thanks for posting.

tony

Penn Chronology

QuoteInsert Quote

I sent the pics to the "old heads" here at PENN, they all feel as do I it is not a true PENN.  Very cool to see the pics, thanks for posting.

Tony,

Thank you very much for taking the time to do that. That was an important piece of the puzzle.

Mike C.

sdlehr

Quote from: Penn on May 17, 2017, 05:55:25 PM
"old heads" here at PENN
tony
Hope none o' them "old heads" are members here, reading this. Someone check in on Tony in a week, make sure he's still there :)

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

conchydong

Cool reel. I also live near Tom Green's shop. He has a lot of vintage stuff.

Drbaits

Interesting discussion, for sure.  Having had all the parts in hand, I would have to point out that a Prototype is not a "true" anything...it's a prototype...one-of-a-kind...I can't believe anyone could have made this reel without the aid  of the facilities, parts and manufacturing capabilities of the Penn factory. Just making those oversized metal rims for the side plates would have required tooling not available to a talented lone wolf.  As Tom Greene reported, the dating of this reel was prior to the war.  I'm sure they, as with all the makers, took voyages off in different directions to test the waters and push limits  I'm guessing that this, like most prototypes, was an idea whose time had not come.

Yes, indeed, just all my humble opinions!   :)

This is a great site...have spent time here lurking but I believe this is my first post.  Thanks for the forum!

John Elder

Maxed Out

Quote from: Drbaits on May 20, 2017, 12:42:03 AM
Interesting discussion, for sure.  Having had all the parts in hand, I would have to point out that a Prototype is not a "true" anything...it's a prototype...one-of-a-kind...I can't believe anyone could have made this reel without the aid  of the facilities, parts and manufacturing capabilities of the Penn factory. Just making those oversized metal rims for the side plates would have required tooling not available to a talented lone wolf.  As Tom Greene reported, the dating of this reel was prior to the war.  I'm sure they, as with all the makers, took voyages off in different directions to test the waters and push limits  I'm guessing that this, like most prototypes, was an idea whose time had not come.

This is a great site...have spent time here lurking but I believe this is my first post.  Thanks for the forum!

John Elder

Welcome aboard John, you seem very knowledgeable. The guys at ORCA could reeeely use a good guy like yourself.  ;D  ;D

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Tightlines667

John Elder

Welcome aboard John!

Pull up a chair and stay awhile.

Ted's right about ORCA.  

What a great organization!

& one that sure needs a guy like you.

We would appreciate your skills and knowledge over here as well.  

Good points about this reel.  It certainly has the makings of a prototype manufactured at an early Penn facility.

John

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Benni3

Yes I want to believe  this is the loch Ness and I hope it is,,,and prototypes are different animals?

sdlehr

Quote from: Drbaits on May 20, 2017, 12:42:03 AMI'm guessing that this, like most prototypes, was an idea whose time had not come.

Yes, indeed, just all my humble opinions!   :)

This is a great site...have spent time here lurking but I believe this is my first post.  Thanks for the forum!

John Elder
John! Welcome aboard! We're crossing forums in opposite directions! Anything you need, let me know.

Sid
Sid Lehr

foakes

Welcome aboard, John!

For those of you who may not know John --

He is an expert's expert when it comes to nearly anything to do with reels, old baits, vintage, and antique tackle.

When someone needs a very valuable old piece restored from the ground up -- they call John.

He has taught many of us what we know today.

He was building out "99's" before most folks knew what they were...

John is also a Master Woodworker -- we might get him to post a pic or two of a Penn reel he constructed from wood!  All parts, gears, etc..

He is past President of ORCA -- has helped many new authors with their books about fishing tackle, including some we know well.

His professional resume is equally impressive as the steering head of a group at Scripp's Institute in San Diego.

His group is doing research into Feline HIV -- in order to work towards a cure for HIV/Aids in humans.

He is also a great father, husband, and a somewhat fair fisherman.

John is one of the Einstein's of fishing tackle -- although he acts just like one of us reel mechanics.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Drbaits

Holy Crap, Fred!  Where is this guy??!  I want to meet him! :) Thanks much for the kind words...I'll have to tell them to get you to do my obit!

Did you hold onto that big run of Senators I sold you an age ago??  Hope so!  As I recall, there were one or two 5 o'clocks in that mix!

sdlehr

Small world. John's group researches a disease that I once researched in the 80's while still a vet student. I went online and read one of the more recent publications..... things have come a long way in the last 30 years.

Sid
Sid Lehr

Alto Mare

John Elder
Welcome John, nice to have you here.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.