Need Help---Possibly the Penn (Loch Ness Monster) 20/0

Started by Penn Chronology, May 14, 2017, 06:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

I have asked someone that goes way back with Penn. When I say way back, I mean back to the 1940's. He says no 20/0 was ever done at the Penn plant. This tells me that whatever found larger than a 16/0 is non-Penn.

This rig, as well done as it is, is done outside of Penn.

Drbaits

Mike, I was just reading a quote from a well-known and respected reel historian that's applicable here:

"But, I have to never say never in the annals of Penn History, every time I do, I get burnt. I will say that I have pictures of Mike Quinn's basement and there are no 20/0 Senators there. What is there would make us drool, but not the elusive 20/0.."

I don't think there is a question that Penn ever put this reel into production, but I see nothing to suggest that they never experimented with ideas and turned out one-offs.  Considering your connection worked at Penn back to the 40s, then he would have been born in the twenties and would now be well into the 90's.  Considering you and I can't remember what we did thursday, I think it's a bit of a stretch to categorically reject the possibility that John B's reel was made at the Penn factory based on one man's memory.  How many people were working at Penn in the 40s and before?  Even if he lied about his age and started at 15 or so, it seems improbable that he would have been in a very commanding position at Penn at that time.  Would he know everything going on in the development area?  All I'm saying is that there is nothing here to make me bury Nessie with the Piltdown Man.

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike, I was just reading a quote from a well-known and respected reel historian that's applicable here:

"But, I have to never say never in the annals of Penn History, every time I do, I get burnt. I will say that I have pictures of Mike Quinn's basement and there are no 20/0 Senators there. What is there would make us drool, but not the elusive 20/0.."

I don't think there is a question that Penn ever put this reel into production, but I see nothing to suggest that they never experimented with ideas and turned out one-offs.  Considering your connection worked at Penn back to the 40s, then he would have been born in the twenties and would now be well into the 90's.  Considering you and I can't remember what we did thursday, I think it's a bit of a stretch to categorically reject the possibility that John B's reel was made at the Penn factory based on one man's memory.  How many people were working at Penn in the 40s and before?  Even if he lied about his age and started at 15 or so, it seems improbable that he would have been in a very commanding position at Penn at that time.  Would he know everything going on in the development area?  All I'm saying is that there is nothing here to make me bury Nessie with the Piltdown Man.

OK, sounds reasonable to me.          

I wonder who said that "Never Say Never" quote? ;)

I am always open to possibilities.  ;D

Penn Chronology

QuoteI will say that I have pictures of Mike Quinn's basement and there are no 20/0 Senators there. What is there would make us drool, but not the elusive 20/0.."

By the way, I do not know if anyone here knew or had any dealings with Mike Quinn. He was the manager of the Penn Parts Department for about 30 years when Penn was still owned by the Henze family.

Mike Quinn passed away last year. I briefly knew him; but, I knew many people that dealt with him continuously and I never met anyone that had a negative word to say about him. He was a VIP in the world of Penn and a great guy! Rest in Peace.

JoeR

That is so cool. Wish I had a better word for that gem but I don't. I do have wow!
Thanks for sharing.