Trinidad 20A

Started by robsurf, May 18, 2017, 01:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robsurf

Hi all, I'm a new member but have been lurking and learning a lot about reels and maintenance lately. I've mostly fished Penn, but am 'lured' by the shine and quality of many different types of reels that are on the new and used market these days. I've been trying to learn about the cost v quality when it comes to materials and mechanisms and one question I've yet to find a definitive answer to is, what materials are Trinidad A reel pinion and main gears made of? I've googled and oogled everything online but even Shimano doesn't claim their materials clearly as does Penn and many other manufacturers. I found a deal on a used 20A and did Alan's recommended cleaning and lube and discovered that the gears are definitely not stainless steel, (looked like brass and had a few mild greenish corrosion spots) I thought SS was the material of upgrades and used in most top quality reels according to postings regarding gears and materials. I also couldn't pop the shields off the sealed spool bearings nor find a replacement size listed online. I am away from my tools and fishing equipment, which is one reason why I've been doing more reading and less fishing, and could not get a measurement on the bearings nor remove the spool pin to work the RH side spool bearing either. My questions here are mainly:
1) What are Trinidad A gears made of?
2) What size are the spool bearings and who carries them?
3) Can the original spool bearing shields be removed for easier access to frequent maintenance; is this recommended?
4) What factory Penn (star drag) is the equivalent to the A series in terms of strength and freespool capabilities?

Craigen

Here's a picture of the 30A.  Gears look like brass.

handi2

The gears are a hard bronze. They have to be because they use the same material gears in the Talica reels with 3 times more drag.

Leave the bearing shields off. I don't like these reels because you cant take the spool out without taking the reel apart.

Dawn with Smooth Drag has the bearings ready for these reels.

I dont know of a Penn reel that will feel and fish like a Torium reel. The Baja Special or the 113US models will be very close with a better freespool and just as much drag.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Craigen

Good to know handi2.  And those Penns you mention have stainless steel gears. 
I always thought they were superior to bronze gears. So hard to justify the Trinidad price. Cheers...