Can I unseal my sealed bearing in my Abu 5600C4? to tune up?

Started by pointbob, July 19, 2023, 02:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointbob

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 27, 2023, 02:48:01 AMFor metal sealed bearing, I've placed them on a cone tightly then placed in a container of acetone then spin the bearing at 1000 rpms which flushed out of the grease and dirt that may be in the bearing as well as polished the bearing itself. Then let air dry then oiled with TSI321.

sorry having a hard time visualizing that...what kind of "cone" and how do you spin it? what do use..a drill or dremel?
Patience comes to those who wait

redsetta

A drill spins at around 2000-3000rpm. A Dremel/rotary tool spins from 5000-35,000rpm.
I use a rotary tool set at about 30 per cent, mainly as it's convenient and easier to hold.
Cone-wise, the base of one of Alan's bearing packers works well, eg:

Hope that helps!
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Donnyboat

I find, once I remove the shield or shields, get an old paint brush handle, taper it to a point, slide the bearing on, place the other end in the portable drill, get a can of carb cleaner, or brake cleaner, rotate the bearing with the drill, & spray away, once you get all the old grease & any grit out of them, then a light lube TSI 321, maybe, & they generally work great, or use ceramic bearings they dont need any lube, so the lube will slow down the bearing when turning, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

pointbob

Quote from: redsetta on April 04, 2024, 08:34:59 PMA drill spins at around 2000-3000rpm. A Dremel/rotary tool spins from 5000-35,000rpm.
I use a rotary tool set at about 30 per cent, mainly as it's convenient and easier to hold.
Cone-wise, the base of one of Alan's bearing packers works well, eg:

Hope that helps!
Cheers, Justin

thanks...i think a video would be a great great help to this technique for do it yourself fishermen :)
Patience comes to those who wait

ExcessiveAngler

Not to stir up the pot, but I thought I heard/read, possibly here. But, wasn't it suggested, the high-speed Dremel technique could damage the bearings?
And as usual, I could be totally wrong, or misinterpreted something lol.

redsetta

You're absolutely right - exceeding the max spin speed for a given bearing will cause damage.
Drills or rotary tools on low settings would be unlikely to breach those limits though.
All bearing types and sizes have different limitations, but (very generally speaking) single-row metal-cage bearings are good to around 10,000rpm (and far higher).
Also, I spin bearings while they're immersed in white spirit. Low revs are essential to stop the liquid flying everywhere!
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer