New Stella RD

Started by TimH, May 13, 2011, 03:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimH

How do you take them apart?? It looks similar to this sienna but I couldnt find a pic of the stella like this

the main problem I have is getting the drag off

alantani

uh oh, bottom drag reel.  very bad mojo......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

TimH

Irish Jigger

I had a  Shimano Stradic which got salt water in the rear drag,it was a nightmare of a reel to overhaul. Loads of tiny parts. I vaguely recollect removing the ribbed rubber cover off the rear drag to expose a metal retaining clip. Remove the metal clip and .........well........good luck. 
I changed to front drag spinners after that and never looked back.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

TimH

Nevermind it's a spirex, here it is here, my mistake

plastic tiki

undo the screw in the middle of the rear rubber covered drag knob. Yes it comes off!, then take the side plate screws out.

It should come apart relatively easily.

Good for trout here in NZ but not much use for saltwater applications due to the limited drag range of the rear drag reels.
The perils of kayak fishing are great...... especially for the fish!

ReelSpeed

hey Tim, these just happen to be my main local trout reels and I service them all the time.  It isn't too bad, the only fun part is the rear drag area where you have to slide things into the frame during reassembly, which can be kinda fun.  For this reel you need to unscrew the little plastic part that has the notch above the drag knob.  I think I used a pick or small screwdriver to put in the slot and help rotate it. The only thing I cant remember right now is which way the threads go...so be careful.  Once you ge this piece off, the rest becomes easier. I remember working on my first one and looking at that assembly for about 30 min before I figured how to open it! ;D Gotta love the spinners!
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190