LH surfmaster 100 with plain tail plate

Started by mhc, May 25, 2017, 12:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

Did newer surfmasters have plain tail plates? I have picked up a tidy left-hand 100 with a plain tail plate (that does not look like a 155 tail plate) - it has the recessed edge like the picture plates do but the 155s don't.

Mike  
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

mhc

I thought all surfmasters had pictured tail plates - it looks like I was wrong.
A daylight photo of the plain plate

Alto Mare

Mike, the Surfmaster is one of my favorite reel, I probably have a dozen or two plates of each 100-150 and 200. Most are new, but I do have a couple that are older. I have never seen a plain Surfmaster plate .

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mhc

Thanks Sal, At the risk of being a nuisance, do you know if any 27-155 plates had that recess around the edge or if there is another plate that size and screw pattern?
Mike

Alto Mare

Never a nuisance Mike. I have not seen any 27-155 plates with the recess around the edge, only on the larger Jigmasters and Longbeach.
I do believe you have the correct plate for that reel and extremely rare, unless the left hand models came as such.
There are guys here able to sort this out, at this point I'm just as interested as you are :) .

Earlier I gave you the wrong information on how many 27-200 plates I own, most are 1-100 plates, but I do have about a dozen of the left side plates and about the same of assembled reels.

I think this one... new in the box, is from the early 60's

Left side plate is the same as the rest

The only difference i've noticed is with the thumb screw. Sorry about the out of focus pic

The thumb screw on the older plate is duller and the letters are different.

Let's hope some of our pros will chime in soon.

Cheers Mike!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mhc

Thanks again Sal.
I've got 1 new 150 plate and 2 older 200 plates - the lettering on this 100 looks to be the same as the older 200s (made in USA is finer on the new 150 plate)

The main gear is steel & the bridge, jack and eccentric are chromed as well - so my first thought that the last few years of production might have dropped the picture plate doesn't add up. I haven't taken the bridge out to see how the dog is set up - I was going to rob the yoke for one of the others I'm working on but think I might just leave it as is and stick it in a drawer until I find out more about it.

Mike

mhc

I gave this 2 year old post a bump to see if any of our newer members have seen a plain tail plate surfmaster or heard of one.

Mike

George6308

This side plate is from a Penn 185 I bought in the late 60's and changed the right side to one from a 180 to add the star drag. I went to the Penn plant, ordered the required parts at the service window,  and changed it in the reception room of the Penn with the use of the Penn reel tool.
This side plate will interchange with the Surfmaster plate. The screw holes are the same and these plates will fit any of the same size reels. (155, 160, 180, 100, 200, 150, and 185). It takes the 2-155 ring.

mhc

Thanks George, the 180 and pre 1970 185 baymasters LH plates are the right size and hole pattern but going by Mystic Reel Parts they used the 155 tail plate which doesn't have the recessed edge  :-\
Your early plate in the photo does have a recessed or plain edge but the inner area is stippled. Maybe someone sanded the surfmaster picture, or 185 stippled finish and Penn logo off - but if thats the case I'd love to know how they did it because I can't see any sign of it being modified.  ???

Mike

broadway

Geez, Sal, I like how you organized those plates... pretty spiffy!
Mike, I have a lefty Surfmaster 100 and the plate isn't plain.  I don;t believe the plain plate is very common at all. Nice find!
Good info, George.
Thanks
Dom