alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Penn 722 Spinfisher
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
October 20, 2019, 03:20:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penn 722 Spinfisher  (Read 25160 times)
fishgrain

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 01:01:40 PM »

awesome Sal thanks! I have one of those that has been giving me trouble, you're right.

This will be a huge help. great stuff TY!@!!!
mo65
The Freshwater Kid...Chillicothe, Ohio
Sensei

"This ship is filthy Mr. Christian!"

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 12:30:04 PM »

Hey Sal, I was wondering if the carbon fiber drags perform better than the teflon? Not that I need a big improvement...just curious if there is an improvement. I just bought a 720z that I'm going to fish...it will be replacing a much newer reel that has fallen apart in a short 4 years.

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Southeastern Pennsylvania

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 03:02:04 PM »

Hey Sal, I was wondering if the carbon fiber drags perform better than the teflon? Not that I need a big improvement...just curious if there is an improvement. I just bought a 720z that I'm going to fish...it will be replacing a much newer reel that has fallen apart in a short 4 years.
Absolutely Mo, not really noticeable on this little guy, but definitely an upgrade from the teflon.
Keep  in mind this posting is over 6 years old, things change along the way. I now prefer a delrin for under the spool or the stock teflon.
This is just my personal preferance.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.
handyandy
chasing smallmouth in southern indiana

river smallmouth

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 06:42:50 AM »

The 722 I fish and went through I put the carbon fiber drags in. Was it really needed maybe not, but the drag is as smooth now as any reel. Definitely a plus to me since I put 6lb line on it and like knowing I have good smooth drag in case I ever hook into something with it that will really peel the line out. It doesn't happen often since the reel is mostly used for bass fishing, but occasionally bass fishing I'll get a decent catfish, drum, or big gar that gives my light tackle setup a work out when I'm not expecting it.
mo65
Sensei

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 10:17:06 AM »

Hi Andy. Your fishing sounds much like mine...every once in a while a big drum or striper will take a wild run...and its nice to know my little bass reel will handle the situation. I've never used a Penn spinner yet, only have a few "plinth princesses" in my collection. This little 720z will probably have me seeking out more Penn spinners. Cool

natch!

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017, 08:59:36 AM »

The first reel I bought for myself was a black & gold 722z. I still use it a lot. The one thing I wish it had is a Manual bail. Any one have any ideas?
  I was thinking maybe an extended bail release arm could be fashioned.

Jack
handyandy

river smallmouth

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2017, 05:49:11 AM »

On the manual bail Idk it's never really bothered me not having one. The little penn spinners are great I like my 722, 714, and 430 a lot. The 714 and 430 I think are a little better using a worm gear vs a ring and pinion type like the 722/720. With the said the dam quick little spinners like 110's and 220's I think have much more robust anti reverse drag. If the dams had metal spools like the penns that would be the best. Mo I'm a fan fishing various rivers around me for smallmouth and fishing the ohio river below the locks that what I love about the rivers sometimes your in for a surprise as to what may bite. This past weekend while sauger jigging below mcalpine lock and dam with a penn 430 on old shakespeare presidential 6'6" rod I had a wiper that was almost 19" bite landed him but he gave my setup with 6lb test a little work out. Had the water been warmer and the wipers more active I'm sure he would have given me a better run. Once he hit I knew it was more than a little sauger didn't know if it was drum, cat, or wiper at first.
mo65
Sensei

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 01:49:28 PM »

The 714 and 430 I think are a little better using a worm gear vs a ring and pinion type like the 722/720.

I bought the 720 for trout/crappie fishing...but I have been eyeballing that 430ss for bass/hybrid fishing...I foresee one in my future. Cool

handi2
Sensei

OCD Reel Service and Repair

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2017, 03:15:06 PM »

I used these reels up to the year 2001 for trout and Redfish. They are now safely put away.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL
handyandy

river smallmouth

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 09:20:53 AM »

I used these reels up to the year 2001 for trout and Redfish. They are now safely put away.

why put them away? they want to be fished
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: