Newbie going to Loreto in July.

Started by Marc Fong, June 06, 2017, 05:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc Fong

Hello All,

Need some advice. I'm going to Loreto early July and will be targeting Dorado off a panga. (Sail fish and Yellow tail might be in the mix) I've got some gear, but don't know what to bring.
Here's what I have.

1. Okuma Andros 5
2. Avet MX
3. Avet JX
4. Avet JX Raptor
5.Penn TRQ40

Cal Star 700 M, H and XH

Interested in your choice of line, top shot, lures, etc.

Thank a bunch.

Marc

Dominick

Hey Marc where have you been?  Good to hear from you.  It's been a while.  Markt and/or Socal Angler should weigh in since one of these members goes down there regularly.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Marc Fong

Hey Dom,

How the heck are you? I've been real busy with work, but getting a little free time to go to Mexico. You been fishing? The last couple of years I've become an active diver, (Scuba and free diving), primarily Abalone hunting and spearfishing. Need to get together with you guys!

Dominick

Going down to Cabo next Tuesday.  Do you need a place to stay in Loreto?  PM me.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

jurelometer

Hi Marc,

In early July,  deep drop fishing (200 feet plus) will be the mainstay if the dorado are not cooperating.

Long 60-80 lb leaders,   Live bait hooks for 6-9inch mackerels.    I like 7/0 to 9/0 Mustad circles.  Usually around 12 oz weights,  available locally.  The more drag you can handle, the better,  the big yellowtails will rock you fast.  I can handle cranking against a higher drag with a two speed.   shorter rods are better, just long enough to clear the outboard.  Last couple years there have been some big amberjack, groupers and snappers mixed in with the yellowtail.  Spectra around 80 lb is good here.   A longer 60 lb  topshot can come in handy for clearing tangles when fishing live bait.

Dorado:   They haven't been around much the last 3 years,  the water has been too hot.   This year looks more normal weather wise, but they should be showing in larger numbers  south  off La Paz by now. If live  sardinas (flatiron herring) are available for purchase,  the plan will be to roll up on a paddy, toss a few sardinas  and then one on a hook.    So you want something you are comfortable tossing an unweighed 4-6 inch sardina up to about 50 feet to allow you to target specific fish.    Nothing over  7 feet for a rod in a panga.  I use 30lb leader for dorado fly fishing, sometimes drop down to 20 if they are getting leader shy.  I will get break offs on the big bulls if the fly is taken deeply.   I would consider having some circle hooks and 30 lb leader, plus the traditional 40 -50lb.

If paddy hopping and radio fishing isn't working,  you may need to troll to find fish.  They like to troll pretty fast there.    

Running into breezing sailfish and striped marlin is a distinct possibility.   Same big live bait,   80 lb leader minimum.    They will also show up on the troll.  A few marlin have already showed up this year.

Inshore shallow fishing should be winding down if the water temps are up to normal for July, but you never know.  Target fish here are roosterfish, jacks, and smaller cabrilla and snappers.   Same light gear as dorado.

Most folks bring too much and too light gear.  Nothing funnier than three guys on a panga with 5 rods each :)
If you are not fishing alone, figure out how much gear total is going to be on the boat. I personally would have a two speed deep drop outfit that would double as a trolling rod,  and a lighter  25lb mono setup that casts well, but still had a good drag and some capacity.   Having a lightweight setup  (like a heavy freshwater bass outfit) for screwing around with triggerfish, small dorado and needlefish might be nice if the options are limited and you want a challenge.    

You generally want lures  that can troll fast for dorado and sailfish.   For deep drop, the standard irons work,  just be aware that the local hot spots are deep and have strong current.   Inshore trolling for roosters, think shallow running rapala type lures.  I haven't done inshore lure  trolling  in a long time, but I was partial to the  non-shiny mullet finishes.

Some smaller midwater irons can work if the dorado are shy, or there is not enough bait present to keep them on the surface.  Sometimes dropping a an iron 60-100 feet and cranking up fast while your partner is soaking a live bait is just the ticket to turn on a bite.  I am personally a believer that colors don't matter too much, but flash can either help or turn off the fish.  Some poppers under 6 inch if the dorado are thick and you want to have some fun.   After catching a few, I have the most fun with a hookless popper.   Bigger mackerel catching  sabikis, in case you have to catch your own bait.  The squid skirt types are popular, but regular skin types work too.  

There is a four rod, four reel limit increasingly being enforced at airport customs.  They count what each person is carrying individually,  so six rods for you and your partner is over the limit.   They will hit you up based on a percentage of the value of each item over limit.

Fishing licenses are available online.   Sometimes the operator will neglect to procure an "included" license for you.   Much of the area requires a marine park daily  permit. Last year the permits were available at the marina.   You get a  daily pink paper bracelet.  You can usually have the operator get the permits for you. Carry some ID with you in addition to your license.  There are times when license and permit checking is going on,  both at the marina and out in the water.  

Loreto is a great town.  You will have fun.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions..

-J

Dominick

Did I mention the heat in July.  :o Be forewarned.  ::)  Dominick

Marc Fong

How long will you be in Cabo? We are all hooked up for Loreto. Thanks!

SoCalAngler

Marc,

jurelometer covered your options pretty well IMO. I will be down in Loreto June 25th to July 2nd. I fish the Loreto area every year around this time and then head back around mid to late October sometimes.

30- 40 lb setups is what I fish most for dorado, yt and others though I mainly find myself fishing 40 lb the most. 60 lb leaders like already stated are most commonly used for the above fish. 60-80 gear with 80-100 lb longer leaders is what I like to use for marlin and sails which aid in quick and healthy releases. I also like 2 speed reels for their flexibility and power for most of the fishing I do there.

For lures I like MirrOlures 111's or Rapala X Rap Magnum's for trolling as well as some tuna type feathers. Fishing the yoyo iron for yt, cabrilla, pargo and such I like Salas 6X jr's.

Good luck on your trip.

P.S. do you already have your panga's lined up?

Marc Fong

Thanks Jurelometer and SoCalAngler. I am a newbie, so any info is much appreciated. I do not have a panga lined up. Recommendations? Can I book online? Should I buy my tackle here in the states or wait until I'm in Mexico? What about fishing licenses? Jurelometer said there was a limitation on the number of reels and rods, that is to say 4. Someone else told me it's 2. Do you know what the limitation is? My wife is not a fisherman. Is there room for her on the panga? Thanks!
Marc

Dominick

Marc, check out BD Outdoors for recommendations for pangas.  You can get your license online at this address  http://pescadeportivaenmexico.sectur.gob.mx/en fast and easy service.  I get mine from this site all the time.  Purchase here you have a better selection and cheaper prices.  I look forward to pictures and a report.  If your wife will be on the panga be aware of the potty situation and she will have to have a fishing license even if she does not fish.  Dominick

alantani

you've got 20 or 25, 30, 40, 50 and 60 covered.  30 should be enough!  looking good!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

Flying or driving? I fly to Loreto and only bring one reel a JX 6/3 to fish with 40 lb toppers. My father lives about 17 miles south of Loreto in Puerto Escondido so I have other gear at his place when I head down. If flying I try to keep my gear to a minimum.

There is no limit on rods and reels or other tackle you can have on a boat/panga but I mainly fish 30 sometimes 40 most often and a 60-80 lb trolling outfit. These 3 setups should cover just about everything you will run into in Loreto. Most of the panga's you will hire have gear, most often well used stuff, but all should have Penn 113's for trolling and for bait with 40-60 lb test on them.

There are the usual suspects as far as panga rentals go, check fishing Loreto through Google and you will see them but if it was me looking to hire one I'd check with these guys first. Torres Sportfishing, Jose the father lives in Juncalito south of Loreto and Manuel his son lives in town. Jose also has two other sons that fish and work with his outfit but I have only fished with Jose and Manuel. These guys will pick you up at the docks in Loreto. Next would be Sea and Land Tours right in Loreto proper. Juve the owner and Rick Hill who works there, will make sure you have the best time you can and know all of the ports captains. I know these two outfits personally and would not hesitate riding one of their boats.

Oh and by the way most of the fishing reports one see's on the net coming from Loreto are from Rick. I'm sure I will fish with him a few times this year on my fathers boat. As a matter of fact Rick took the pic in my avatar last year of the rooster I caught.

Swami805

If your'e not fishing everyday take the wife on one of those day hikes to check out the cave paintings. Likely be pretty warm but there's one that goes to a ranch outside mulege that traverses back and forth over a river so the water cools you off as you wade across. A bit of a drive but well worth it. There's a few tour operators that offer it in town that arrange everything. Mulege is a nice town too if you have some time to kick around there.
Not sure if it's the right time of year but one year we went on a day trip across the penninsula to Gerro Negro to check out the grey whales. You go out in a panga and splash the water with you hand and the whales swim up and you can pet them. Some of them will lift the calves up to give them a scratch too. The operator we went with had a naturalist with us and we would stop every little while to check out different areas along the drive. Had a nice lunch there too.
Another thing to consider is to bring a small 12lb spinning outfit and a handful of small shiny lures like cast masters and krockidiles to fish off the beach.A fun way to spend a few hours in the evening, your wife might enjoy that too.
I don't know that I've been anywhere with nicer people than Loreto. You'll have a great trip.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Marc Fong

Thanks again for all the help. Just to clarify, I should bring 3 rigs: a 30lb, 40lb and a trolling rig?

swill88

Quote from: Marc Fong on June 10, 2017, 03:04:35 PM
Thanks again for all the help. Just to clarify, I should bring 3 rigs: a 30lb, 40lb and a trolling rig?

The Pangero will have gear too. You don't have to get everything at once.
Don't miss Dominick's caution regarding your wife. No private facilities on the panga.
Steve