dam super 2 speed rebuild

Started by handyandy, June 07, 2017, 03:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handyandy

ok so I'm finally getting around to taking apart, cleaning up, and upgrading the drag in my quick super 2 speed I acquired a little while back. I'm hoping fred will chime in on this as I usually don't have any issues getting these old reels apart. But this two speed the red knob that you pull in and out to engage the low or high speed is being quite the pain to get off so I can the whole two speed gear assembly apart and thoroughly cleaned. There is a little pin that I'm guessing is what holds the knob on which keeps me from removing the shaft it's attached to. I've been trying to carefully with little gunsmith punches knock the pin to no avail. It's hard to really get a good hit on it since it a rather small diameter and the little punches appropriate for it can't take to hard a hit. That and it's easy to hit too hard the punch bounces then striking the plastic knob I'd rather keep in tact. Or maybe the pin doesn't need to come out and I'm just missing something else that should come out so I can get this gear mechanism taken apart cleaned and relubed properly. I haven't gotten around to redoing the drag stack with CF drags when I do I will post up pics and descriptions on here. Anything I do to the drag stack could be applied to any super as the spools are the same between the two speed and regular supers.

handyandy

more pics of it apart

Midway Tommy

Don't know if this will help but most of the Dam pins I've punched will only drive out in one direction. They're mushroomed just a little on one end so the won't slide in too far.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

handyandy

I've tried on both sides if you look at the one pic the little hole in the knob is from me accidentally slipping with the little punch and put it through the red knob. I'll have to give it another try when I have time haven't messed with it the past few days have had more pressing things to work on.

foakes

Tommy is right about most of the DQ pins -- with the exception of the roll pins, one end is usually slightly mushroomed, tapered, or fluted -- so it is a one-way deal in or out.

However, it has been a few years since I had a 2-speed apart for a service on the bench -- but I seem to recall that the keeper pin was the same on both ends.  The plastic knob is tolerance-tight enough to hold the pin in place.

Problem arises when removing these pins from the shaft that may be salt encrusted, rusted, or just 60 years of being fused together.

Anything can be used for a pin if you screw one up -- brass or SS stock from a hobby store, etc..

But if you tweak the double side housing, sleeve, or bend something else -- it will spoil your day.

My solution would be to be careful -- cut off the red knob with a Dremel -- exposing the bare pin shaft -- then ease the pin out with a pair of vice-grips, or similar.

If this is the route you decide -- I will send you a NOS red shift knob.

This way, the hammer can be eliminated on a delicate and non-existant sideplate assemby -- and the new knob looks good too.

Clean the pin hole -- and grease the pin when reinserting -- your next service will be a breeze.

The pics show you what you are working with inside.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handyandy

fred thank you, I was hoping you might have a knob lying around so I could do as your describing that was my next idea. But I didn't want to act on it till I knew if I could get another knob or not. Your the man and I'm for ever great full for your stock pile of DAM Quick NOS parts. I will take you up on the knob I think and just cut mine off.

foakes

Will do, Andy --

Might be a couple of days -- just took a break from burning slash piles and cutting timber.

Was up every hour last night monitoring the burn piles for progress, wind, wetting the perimeters, etc.

After tonight, we will tractor the piles apart, soak everything good, then spread and work it into the meadow floor.

Few more days -- then schedules will be hopefully a little more balanced.  

On another note --

Like many of you, I have had many reels apart over the years -- and yet am always astounded at the over-engineering and tough qualities built into these DAM's -- from the smallest to largest.

Just take a look at those gears, steel shafts, machined steel wormdrives, etc..

Few reels today, can boast features anywhere close to these.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handyandy

Fred the quality of these reels is impeccable I agree one would have to speed a few hundred dollars to get anything close. Sounds like your really busy Fred as am I haven't messed with the reel since last weekend, so a few days waiting on the knob is ok. I'm going to try and lap down the metal drag washers and see how many CF washers I can squeeze into the spool.

handyandy

Well finally got around to disassembling this thing the rest of the way yesterday night after working in the garage on a tractor for a while. I ended up cutting the red knob off and using vise grips to push the retaining pin out. Unfortunately the pin was stuck in pretty good and bent slightly while removing it. And ended up breaking while trying to pull it out completely. Hoping fred might have another if not I will have to figure out something else to replace it with. Any ways tried to take a bunch of pictures and illustrate the tear down as best I could. Now I just need to let all the parts soak in some mineral spirits or lacquer to get all the old grease gum and varnish off. The two speed gear system is very well made, and a very clever design. Every part of this reel is very well made and very beefy compared to anything today.

handyandy

more disassembly pics even the the gear/shaft that the handle turns on top of the handle having a tight fitting retaining pin and threaded thumb nut to keep the shaft in the housing it also had a c clip retaining it too. All the gears are precisely machined very impressive components in this reel.

handyandy

more pics started disassembling the gear system that allows it to have two speeds.

handyandy

The larger gear even had a resistax type lining on the one side. More pics of it coming apart. unfortunately the very thin copper washer behind the first gear that comes off the shaft was broken hopefully fred might be able to help me out on that one.

Midway Tommy

Cool process, Andy. Keep them coming. If Fred doesn't have a replacement pin you can pick up an appropriate size stainless steel rod at many hardware or craft stores and easily cut one. I have numerous sizes of SS rods exactly for that or similar purposes. They come in very handy......no pun intended.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

handyandy

more pics moved on to the rest of the reel since I had the gears all taken apart removed the spool shaft retaining screw and spool shaft then the rotor. I'm still impressed by how over built these reels are the spool shaft is quite thick tried to use my pinky finger as a comparison.

mo65

Wow, a 2 speed, I didn't even know they made that one! Your rebuild looks to be going well. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~