Do I have defective Loctite?

Started by Dominick, June 08, 2017, 12:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

If there's no oil on the screw or in the screw hole then why would you need locktite?  Just go fishing and it will corrode itself shut.
-steve

Alto Mare

I usually like all of your advice, I do not like this one Steve:).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Quote from: mo65 on June 08, 2017, 06:15:16 PM
   I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere...in all these comments...but the least little bit of oil on the threads will render locktite useless. This goes for the screw's threads and the handle's hole also.
  8)

Yeah, I'd rinse both parts in naphtha before loctite application now that I know this. I wouldn't use mineral spirits, I think there are oil impurities in most.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Bryan Young

Some of my Loctite is pretty watery.  It is thin so it wicks up the screw into the screw and nut.  While others are thicker and should be applied before screwing.  And still others, applied and let dry then screw.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Daron, Mike, I got it don't use too much.  However when I point the tube at the screw the liquid just pours out.  From now on I am going to drip some in a ceramic dish and use one of the kids coloring brushes.  Problem solved.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

I ONLY use it putting on knobs. It is in fact watery and I've bought other tubes hoping they would be thicker because I loctited some things that shouldn't be loctited due to wicking as noted above...NAMELY A BLUE LOU!! So I've to take that one apart as it winds but a lil stiff, and no going second rate on that piece of art.

Dominick, did you get Tank yet?

Dominick

John, it just came today.  I put the knob on with the blue loctite.  First I cleaned the hole and screw with lighter fluid.  That should take all the grease out.  I'm using it next week so I'll know how it works.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

I will usually have the knob facing up as I crank down on the mounting screw. This will keep the runny loctite off the shaft or bearings...if any.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rancanfish

Good point Sal.

I learned to clean the screws before I use Loctite today.

I bet we could use the Paslode tool cleaner for that too.  Love that stuff now that I've been using it for a while.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Alto Mare

Yes Ranny, the paslode does a good job, as you know, it's all i use.

Sal

Rancanfish

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

David Hall

They make a gel loctite in both blue and red, I've been using the blue gel for some time and It's perfect, stays right where you put it.
Check it out most auto stores carry it.  It says gel right on the bottle, there's small squeeze tubes and larger with a deodorant type of twist knob on the base.  It's a pale blue color.

sdlehr

Quote from: David Hall on June 09, 2017, 06:07:49 AM
They make a gel loctite in both blue and red, I've been using the blue gel for some time and It's perfect, stays right where you put it.
Check it out most auto stores carry it.  It says gel right on the bottle, there's small squeeze tubes and larger with a deodorant type of twist knob on the base.  It's a pale blue color.
When Alan Chui's EVA knobs arrived (in the past, I've not gotten one recently) there is/was a blue glob on the threads, presumed to be gel loctite.

Sid
Sid Lehr

Alto Mare

Quote from: sdlehr on June 09, 2017, 12:58:44 PM
When Alan Chui's EVA knobs arrived (in the past, I've not gotten one recently) there is/was a blue glob on the threads, presumed to be gel loctite.

Sid
Sid, the gel type isn't the same as the  pre-applied Loctite .
The pre applied is some type of  industrial strength that machinists/ suppliers use on their screws.
McMasters might carry that type.
I was actually looking for it myself, but a fried that does lots of assembly mentioned I would do better with loctite applied during assembly.
Sal

sdlehr

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 09, 2017, 01:31:47 PM
Quote from: sdlehr on June 09, 2017, 12:58:44 PM

Sid
Sid, the gel type isn't the same as the  pre-applied Loctite .
The pre applied is some type of  industrial strength that machinists/ suppliers use on their screws.
McMasters might carry that type.
I was actually looking for it myself, but a fried that does lots of assembly mentioned I would do better with loctite applied during assembly.
Sal
Thanks, Sal. I have no experience at all with loctite.
Sid Lehr