Do I have defective Loctite?

Started by Dominick, June 08, 2017, 12:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: sdlehr on June 09, 2017, 01:46:13 PM

Thanks, Sal. I have no experience at all with loctite.
Neither do !... maybe we'll learn about it together, or maybe not ;D .
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Sal, Sid, interestingly enough, when I take apart a reel that the factory has used blue thread block it looks like it was painted on with a brush.  It has a clean line of blue with no spreading to other parts of the screw.  Someone on this site should know what they use.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

oc1

Sorry to butt in Dominick.  Does anyone know how much heat is required to remove a screw with the red locktite?  Would 250 F do it?
-steve

STRIPER LOU

Steve, 250 wont do it. More like 400/ 500 deg for several minutes.

......................Lou

mo65

Be careful with that red locktite fellas, it's wicked stuff. Hard to believe anything on a fishin' reel would need it. We used it a lot on bikes(Harley-Davidson)...you know...the "Milwaukee Shaker". :D  Old HD's are famous for vibrating fasteners off, but I only used the red as a last resort because disassembly afterwards is most unpleasant. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

yeah, 450 may get off the red Loctite but what's going to get off your melted-down sideplates lol.

oc1

The reel no longer has any plastic.  But, at 450 F I would be afraid of warping.  I'd better find some lock nuts instead.
-steve

STRIPER LOU

Steve, if you use the blue along with the Loctite primer you'll be fine. Just clean all inner and outer threads before application.

...................Lou

oc1

Thank you very much for that Lou.  I started looking through the Loctite (Henkel) literature.  It is somewhat overwhelming and will/would take weeks to digest.  Thirty years ago the choice was blue, red or gold Loctite.  Now there are many different Loctite formulations for different applications.  Some would be useful when messing around with old reels with worn parts.... if it can be sorted out.
-steve