2/0 "Bait Special" conversion of a 3/0

Started by mhc, June 11, 2017, 12:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

Thanks again guys, the real inspiration comes from the countless projects, upgrades and experiments that have been going on here since Alan started this site.
Chris, I'll take you up on your offer to polish the frame.... AFTER you have finished your projects - including the daiwas.  ;)  :)

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Rothmar2

Quote from: mhc on June 19, 2017, 08:51:52 AM
Chris, I'll take you up on your offer to polish the frame.... AFTER you have finished your projects - including the daiwas.  ;)  :)

Mike

Errr, that'll be a few years then..... ::) :D

Donnyboat

Chris, how are you, what is involved in the polishing, can you share, thanks cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Rothmar2

Hi Don,

For sure, I can put up how I go about it, although a professional polisher would turn in his grave, and wouldn't even be dead yet! I am very busy at the moment, but I will get something up ASAP.
I have put some detail in the 6/0 thread and also here.....

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14008.0

But I will add to one of these threads with a bit more detail soon if you are interested. Just need a little time at the minute.
If you do a google search for polishing stainless steel, that will give you a good overview of what's involved. I just adjust the process to suit my needs and what I have access to.
The process is as simple or as complicated as you make of it depending on the acceptable to you quality you want in the finished product.

moondog371

wow now that awesome!!!!!!!!! very cool!!!!!!!

Donnyboat

Chris, your jig master project, is very informative, and with fine text detail, well done,  thanks for your fast reply, yes Mike is a very generous man, I have been on the end of his generosity, with the Penn 349 I posted, True Aussies, ay, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

mhc

I have decided to try a 4/0 3-113 bridge with Sal's grouper special gear combination of a 5-149 main and 13-113H pinion, to increase the gear ratio from 2.3:1 to 2.6:1.
A bit of background to the choice; The stock 112 3/0 & 111 2/0 Senators both use the 3-66 bridge with a 5-66 main gear (32 teeth) and 13-49 pinion (14 teeth) which gives a gear ratio of around 2.3:1.
The 113 4/0 uses a 3-113 bridge and a 5-66 main with a 13-113 pinion with a gear ratio of around 2:1. A few members here were making narrow 113 4/0 'grouper specials' and putting the 3-66 bridge and gears in the 4/0 to increase the speed a bit. The 3-66 bridge was not a perfect fit but close enough to work - then Sal came up with the 5-149 and 13-113H gear set on the 3-113 bridge to make his 2.6:1 grouper special.
If the 3-66 fit in 113, the 3-113 bridge with Sal's gear combination should fit in the 112 if I enlarge the gear space for the slightly larger 5-149 gear.

The 3-113 bridge, 5-149 and 13-113H gear set with one of Bryan's 5 stack drag upgrades for the 5-60 gear, a 10 tooth black pearl gear sleeve and double alternating  dogs;   

And the side plate after I enlarged the space for the 5-149 main;

There is not as much material in the plate as I thought - this was not going to be as straightforward as I had hoped it would be.  ::)

To cover the hole, I shaped a piece of bakelite from a broken jigmaster tail plate;

I used a thick epoxy (PC.7) to hold the piece in place and fill the gaps;

Used a carbide burr in the drill press to shape the plate and roughed it up a bit with sand paper;

The outer ring needed to be shaped to fit around the added piece;

A quick test fit showed I need to remove a little more from the plate - the gear fits but still rubs in one place.

Alto Mare

Mike, that is so cool! I would love to sit next to you at your workbench and just observe while you experiment.
Nice job!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rothmar2

This is why you never throw anything out.....but try explaining that to our other halves!
Keep it coming Mike.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Donnyboat

Great stuff Mike, looks like it was manufactured that way, thanks for sharing, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

mhc

Thanks again guys, I'm thinking the 'patch' should hold up - it shouldn't be under much load.

Sal, it would be great to have you around while I'm messing around with this stuff, I reckon your experience would save me a heap of time. I pulled the bridge out at least a dozen times to work out why the gears weren't free turning until I finally thought to try another pinion and solved the rough feel. I can't remember where I got the first pinion from, it was used but looked OK by eye and closer inspection showed a few damaged teeth that gave the rough feeling like the gears were catching somewhere.

Mike 

David Hall

Fantastic work Mike.  Can't wait to read your next post.

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Fishy247

This is some really cool stuff right here! I love seeing the way guys around here can modify reels....Keep it up!

Mike