tomatoes

Started by Alto Mare, June 11, 2017, 01:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

A contractor friend of mine texted me these photos yesterday while driving to Bend, OR.

The 6 tomatoes weigh 14 lbs!!!!!

His problem is the local rat population, but this time,

Jim 14 - Rats ZERO!!!!

These tomatoes are Summer time ripe and so delicious !!!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Alto Mare

No Wayne, you tell your contractor friend my is bigger ;D.
I've never seen anything like that, interesting.
Give him my address and let him squeeze some seed in a paper towel and send it to me. I would like to try those, if he doesn't mind of course.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 19, 2017, 02:00:18 PM
Early Saturday morning harvest:

The large tomatoe in the back weighs 1.5 lbs, here she is resting on my tank for size comparison

Sal

Nice harvest Sal.....I can't help but drool on that "tomato" plinth in your pic  :D  :D

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

El Pescador

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 19, 2017, 03:52:15 PM
No Wayne, you tell your contractor friend my is bigger ;D.
I've never seen anything like that, interesting.
Give him my address and let him squeeze some seed in a paper towel and send it to me. I would like to try those, if he doesn't mind of course.
Sal.

Sal!
Your wish is my command!

I'll take care of this & send you some of those seeds! ;)

Wayne

Alto Mare

Cool!...Thanks Wayne ;)!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

I gotta hurry up and eat these small 'maters...the big ones are coming on now...hee hee! They sorta dwarf the hamburger bun! :o
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

wailua boy

Quote from: El Pescador on August 19, 2017, 03:07:20 PM
A contractor friend of mine texted me these photos yesterday while driving to Bend, OR.

The 6 tomatoes weigh 14 lbs!!!!!

His problem is the local rat population, but this time,

Jim 14 - Rats ZERO!!!!

These tomatoes are Summer time ripe and so delicious !!!!!!

Wayne

Wait are those pumpkins or tomatoes? Just kidding but it could be the pruning technique, that helps develops such large tomatoes but interesting variety.

pjstevko

Heres a few pics from our local garden...We haven't gotten near the results we got last year but its still more than enough for the wife and I....

El Pescador

Quote from: wailua boy on August 19, 2017, 10:33:25 PM
Wait are those pumpkins or tomatoes? Just kidding but it could be the pruning technique, that helps develops such large tomatoes but interesting variety.

wailua boy!

I'll ask Jim when I get back regarding the tomato variety & planting, pruning & growing techniques.

Wayne

conchydong

Quote from: pjstevko on August 19, 2017, 10:47:46 PM
Heres a few pics from our local garden...We haven't gotten near the results we got last year but its still more than enough for the wife and I....

Nice. I just can't learn to like ampalaya (bitter melon) and I can eat just about everything.
I love tomatoes and although Florida grows a ton of them for the Winter market, it seems the northern east coast tomatoes have a better flavor.

pjstevko

Those armenian cucumbers are around 2ft long and we pick about 3 a day!!!

conchydong

Quote from: pjstevko on August 20, 2017, 12:29:08 AM
Those armenian cucumbers are around 2ft long and we pick about 3 a day!!!

I thought they were bitter melons and not cucumbers. My mistake, they sure have similarities.

Alto Mare

Quote from: El Pescador on August 20, 2017, 12:03:12 AM
Quote from: wailua boy on August 19, 2017, 10:33:25 PM

wailua boy!

I'll ask Jim when I get back regarding the tomato variety & planting, pruning & growing techniques.

Wayne

From my personal experience, pruning didn't do much for size. Some I keep low, but others are now over 9' tall and still producing flowers...we'll see if I get many more.

Nice to see everyone else, thanks for sharing guys.

Today I made a tomato pie, I cooked it on the grill at low temperature, it came out perfect, nice and crispy. Those grill mats are doing a great job on everything I grill.
I also fried those banana peppers with a couple of hot ones, I had those with some bread and extra sharp provolone...good stuff!

wailua boy

I set up a aquaponic growbed a few years ago and love it but stick to mostly lettuce but have grown strawberries and they seem to do well in the system. I did want to try tomatoes in system one day. Give it a try if any anyone is looking for a fun project. The kids love seeing the fish.

gstours

Thanks for the tomatoe pictures you all;  and here is my prize. ::)   It is vine ripened in SE Alaska.   They say it cant be done? ;)

There is nothing like a vine ripened one for flavor! ;D   Our season is short and much cooler,  the passive greenhouse helps me.