"Springer Knot"

Started by Keta, June 11, 2017, 06:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyhooker

Good info; I usually use a Palomar in the lighter lines I most frequently have spooled; sometimes a Double Uni, but that's a little harder for me than the Palomar, unless I'm tying something on where I can't easily get the loop of the Palomar over it (like a big jig).  I've noticed that the Palomar occasionally seems to break as I test it after tying & I see where someone mentions about the loops crossing--maybe that's what is happening to me.

I think I'll give some consideration to this new knot, as it does seem easy to tie, which is a big plus to me.

Frank

MarkT

Back in early November, I used the Springer as tied by JC in the video and caught a 298.8# and a 321# YFT the first time I tried it. It's that easy!
I was using 130# Seaguar Premier Fluoro to a Mustad 6/0 4x circle hook.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

David Hall

Looks about as simple as you can get.  I like it.

MarkT

The Springer that landed my Super Cow. I like it because it goes through the eye twice, is small and very easy to tie. Try a few and see for yourself!

Gobi King

Good info guys,
I am tying  leaders for muskie/pike/sturgeon in St Clairs for next year with heavy line, I love the Springer knot, simple and effective. I think this will be my go to knot for leaders now
Danke!
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Cor

I just made the knot on some 0.55mm mono, is easy to tie and seems very strong.

Wonder if it will work on braid?
Cornelis

boon

Quote from: Cor on December 14, 2017, 06:17:50 PM

I'm yet to find a knot that consistently retains a significant amount of strength when tieing braid directly to terminal tackle. My current doctrine is that braid should never be tied to anything except a mono/fluoro leader, due to the tiny diameter it's very good at cutting into itself.

Cor

Quote from: boon on December 14, 2017, 10:21:06 PM
Quote from: Cor on December 14, 2017, 06:17:50 PM

I'm yet to find a knot that consistently retains a significant amount of strength when tieing braid directly to terminal tackle. My current doctrine is that braid should never be tied to anything except a mono/fluoro leader, due to the tiny diameter it's very good at cutting into itself.

I am a fairly lazy fisherman when it comes to tying leaders and have for quite some time been tying my braid directly to my terminal tackle without any adverse results.   I do use 80lb where 50lb should suffice.
Cornelis

MarkT

I wouldn't use a Springer with braid. It'd probably pull out. I'd want something with s lot more turns.

happyhooker

A little off topic, but has anyone ever tried or heard anything good/bad about the "Herter Knot?  Looks like it could work like a snell, but Geo. Herter was a good salesman above all else & I just wonder about this knot.

Frank

Rivverrat

I've been playing with this Springer knot for some time now I will be testing against the Palomar. I'm liking the Springer knot. It meets 2 requirements easy to tie & strong... Jeff

maxpowers

You all are a funny lot..The creator of the knot posted several times on this thread and called it the Spangler knot after his name Dave Spangler, but you all still insisted on calling it the Springer knot.  Go figure.

Keta

Joe Collins called it a Springer Knot in his video, the OP in this thread, and I will continue to call it that.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

The Spangler is a little different.  I think the Springer is JC trying to tie a Spangler and getting it wrong!

Rivverrat

The Spangler I believe is more versatile. Works better on liter line. Going 3 times through the eye seems to give better shock resistance... Jeff