Right side is handle side on senator?

Started by Rickb, June 13, 2017, 08:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickb

Hi
  Is there is a dumb question of the week prize ?  This should put me in first place . ;D
   On a penn senator reel I am 99% sure handle side is right side unless it's a lefty  mines not a lefty thought I would double check I need an outer ring for handle side  mine is cracked and on eBay they have rights and lefts no mention of handle. I was going to get the right side correct?
Thank you
      Rick

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

RowdyW

Rick, when a seller on ebay doesn't say if it is a right handed reel you can usually assume it is a righty. Usually, and I repeat usually if it is a left handed reel the seller will say so. Just take that with a grain of salt.  :D        Rudy

Rickb

Ok thanks!
 Rick
Just got off eBay the ring I should get it within a week it goes on a 9/0 I need to finish

sdlehr

Quote from: RowdyW on June 13, 2017, 09:06:48 AM
Rick, when a seller on ebay doesn't say if it is a right handed reel you can usually assume it is a righty. Usually, and I repeat usually if it is a left handed reel the seller will say so. Just take that with a grain of salt.  :D        Rudy
But when buying reels you've got to be careful still, because a lot of sellers haven't a clue what they are selling and don't know the reel is a lefty. This could apply to rings as well as reels, but I would think a little less likely.
Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

thorhammer

yep Ive bought whole sideplate assemblies that went to a different reel than advertised but couldn't tell myself from pics

Donnyboat

You`ve got poor old Rick scratching his head now, good luck Rick, should be okay, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

foakes

Everyone is of course correct in their thoughts -- sometimes, generally 50% of the time in my experience -- either of the parties can not get it right as to what someone is asking.  And assumptions and miscommunication follow.  Including with even knowledgeable folks (me included).

To eliminate right side, left side, front view, back view, outer, inner, North, South, driver side, passenger side, etc...on conventional reels --

I just have learned to do what the old timers have always done successfully over the decades --

Headplate & Tailplate.

Simple -- and everything just falls into place with no wasted time.

Once I got used to doing this -- the time wasted became very minimal -- and most folks get it immediately.

At least this is the theory...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

No questions are too dumb Rick, The dumb guy is the one doesn't ask. Sometimes on eBay the seller's lack of reel knowledge works out to our advantage...and sometimes...you get "Mo Luck"! :D  I recently bought a Delmar advertised as a 286 for a few bucks. Oh boy! A holy grail 286 for a few bucks?? :o  Of coarse when it arrived it was just a 285, and the seller wasn't trying to pull a fast one. His other items for sale were a gaggle of fleamarket junk...he just mistook the numbers. ::)  All is good though, because that ol' Delmar had a mint moly steel #5-60 gear in it...and it's about to go into my Cortez Conversions Squidder! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~