60's (I think) Penn 209 question

Started by John in MT, June 15, 2017, 02:33:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John in MT

My father in law gave me an old 209 he no longer uses.  I don't think it's seen a drop of oil since the day it left the factory. 

I've taken it partially apart, mostly the non-drive side to clean it and re-lube it.  I've found the tutorial and it looks like it will be helpful.

One thing I noticed right away was the two non-drive side gears on the spindle are loose.  The larger gear (looks like steel gear) closest to the spool has about 1/2 a tooth or so of slop.  The brass gear (no 66 I think) has a similar amount of play.  Should these gears have play in them?

The brass gear came right off once the wire ring clip was removed from the spindle.   The steel gear does not lift off, there is a burr or lip around the edge of the shoulder that prevents it from lifting off.  I'm wondering if that burr is wear and should be cleaned up - or if that gear was originally crimped somehow onto the spindle?

The spool is a 3 piece spool.

alantani

everything sounds about right!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

John in MT

Thanks Alan.  For as dry and dirty as it was it seems reasonably clean inside.   

Really just seems to need a bit of a buffing on the exterior, some lubrication and it should be good to go.

Of course I rarely fish trolling with leaded line anymore, but one can never have too many reels.