Quick and dirty lures for just getting started

Started by FlipFlopRepairShoppe, June 22, 2017, 08:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Yessir. I get strange looks wandering around michaels or hobby lobby with a ratty fishing tee from the moms buying school project stuff. But I get metallic rod thread, shadow boxes for old plugs, metallic pens, flashabou and other stuff there half price of Crudhole and no shipping.

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Here we go, with freshened up rigging, armed and ready to rock.  I highly reccomend putting some kind of sealant on these lures, but if you don't have any, just go fish it.  I'm not going to seal this one, because I'm keeping it as quick and dirty as possible.  That paint is literally the cheapest spray paint that I've ever seen, and some dirt cheap red acrylic paint (I think it was like $1.50). Literally any kind of paint will work, except maybe watercolor, because I'm pretty sure that will wash off.  Heck, you could probably use some old jelly as paint.  Might scare the fish, though.

To paint the eyes like I did, get some paint on a piece of cardboard or wood and dab it on there with a super cheap brush or even a Q-tip. That particular white paint is from a bottle of old white acrylic paint like the kind you buy for a $1.50 at walmart.  If you don't have that, just spray a little paint on a flat surface and use that.  I used a toothpick to drip some black paint into the center of the white, also dirt cheap walmart acrylic craft paint.   The paint job on this thing will be horribly beaten up after one excursion, but I'll just keep slapping paint on it until it rots apart.

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Thorhammer, I'm right there with you.  If I'm there with another person my most used sentence is "I could catch a fish with that."   I mean, everything from the shiny wreath material to things that I can't even identify.  Once you've gone lure crazy, it all starts looking like tackle.  To me, at least.  I'm going to start doing a Dollar Store Lure Special whenever I swing through there.  Yeah, I'm nuts, but I like doing stupid things like this.
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

Alto Mare

I wasn't sure where you were going with that mess you stated with in the behginning, but I must say, you ironed it out pretty nicely.

Good job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Thank you, Alto Mare.   If I have one skill it's getting tied up in a bird's nest of my own making and then puzzling my way out of it.  I learned some things from all of this. 

1. You can chisel out a channel in about a minute per lure half (I'd picked up a wood chisel about a dozen times before this project)

2. Hot glue is incredibly not very useful for this

3. A rasp removes alot more wood, alot more quickly than I had thought (belt sander like quickness even)

4. Refer to lesson 2 above if I ever even look at a glue gun while making tackle

oldmanjoe

;D  Yep it become a sickness , everything starts looking like lure material...     doll hair ,old wigs ,candy wrapper, any color tin foil ,ribbon and on and on.   joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

What do you mean, sir.........aren't all of those things specifically made for us to turn into lures? Seriously, though....it is a sickness.  But I don't want a cure.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: FlipFlopRepairShoppe on June 24, 2017, 06:31:56 PM
What do you mean, sir.........aren't all of those things specifically made for us to turn into lures? Seriously, though....it is a sickness.  But I don't want a cure.
IT is a sickness i can deal with therophery ,   saltwater therophery ......  joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare