Penn Fathom 40LD2 power Handle

Started by steelfish, June 23, 2017, 11:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well not really a power handle since the stock handle is pretty good, I just wanted a better and bigger knob, and what better than a Tani knob, this will make my fathom a killer weapon

I wanted to save the stock handle so I ordered another stocker from scotts but  I got a golden one (torque 40ld2), just to add some spice to the reel.

seems like it will be a noticiable difference on the knob size  ;D ;D

just need a recommendation on how to take the stock knob shaft out from the handle, I dont have many tools, a hand drill, dremmel with some bits and file, so if you think I can do it with any of those I am all ears, of if you think I better take the handle to a local machine shop I can do it too.
as you can see the handle shaft has a beeffy rivet

in case you havent noticed it, the knob 4" it bit bigger by a hair "mm" than the stock handle lenght ::) ;D ;D

it will look really awesome, I will post pics when done and installed it

The Baja Guy

steelfish

finally have the time to go through this AT handle knob

just love how the gold handle looks along with the gold accents in the reel they match perfect and the reel looks more vivid Im just looking forward to try it out, although I already have another reel with a AT knob so, I know they are fabulous.

The Baja Guy

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

steelfish

on the rod the reel looks 3x better but also feels 5x better than the stock handle knob, it make the reel feels like a $500 reel  ;D ;D

The Baja Guy

Sluggo

I like it. how did you get the old handle off does the new one just screw on ?

steelfish

well, since I dont have many tools it was harder to take the stock handle knob out than it should be, also my local machine-shop was closed for the weekend, pretty sure they would have take it out in 5 minutes but since I wanted to try the AT knob on a fishing trip, I took my dremel and I cut the handle shaft rivet that is on the back (it was harder than I though) and finally with a pin punch and a hammer took what left of the shaft on the handle, the Tani knob just screw on the handle, depending on the handle shaft hole you might have to make it bigger to fit the "base" of shaft of the knob, if could do it anyone could do it too.

The Baja Guy

handi2

The way you did it was much safer than drilling. Anytime you drill out the handle spindle that is SS you have to be very cautious.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

Quote from: handi2 on July 28, 2017, 09:56:18 PM
The way you did it was much safer than drilling. Anytime you drill out the handle spindle that is SS you have to be very cautious.

thanks Keith, feels good to have it done that way, the gold handle got 2 marks from the cut wheel of the dremel but they dont look too bad, actually they look like normal fishing use  ;D ;D ;D
The Baja Guy

Sluggo

Thanks think I'll try it on my fathom 40

steelfish

pretty sure this was already asked many times but couldnt found it

I switched knobs from the stock one for an AT knob, I didnt drilled the old one out but grinded the rivet with my dremel, the stock know still have a nice shaft left that is enough to cover the width a normal handle arm so....

its there any way to attach the stock knob that was taken out somehow to any other handle arm?
- weld it to a SS or alloy arm?
- use a really HD epoxy to glued to a chrome/SS arm
- etc?

the old knob is brand new and could be a nice upgrade for small reels like jigmasters, abu 7000, squidder, etc
its a shame to consider it trash material

The Baja Guy

Bill B

Alex. i apologize for missing your post....the new handle and arm will be a classic add on for sure....others may chime in but I think the old handle is toast for any other uses....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

steelfish

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on November 04, 2017, 02:48:42 AM
I think the old handle is toast for any other uses....Bill

Thats was I was afraid but ooh well

Thanks for comfirm it Bill
The Baja Guy

coastal_dan

Alex- I've now added three of Alan's handles to my Penn reels and each time I toss that nice ergo handle!  Such a shame...I wanted to add it to my SSV handles but no go...

About the Fathom...they area nice reels, I have the single speed...it needs two things though...a slightly longer handle arm and 4:1 gears...the 4.8:1 is just a bit too tall for my deep water bottom fishing.  I don't have a real need for two-speed...
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Rivverrat

replacing the knob with a longer thicker one can have the same effect as a slightly longer handle. It really is a great way to make a good reel better... Jeff

steelfish

Quote from: coastal_dan on November 04, 2017, 01:16:30 PM

About the Fathom...they area nice reels, I have the single speed...it needs two things though...a slightly longer handle arm and 4:1 gears...the 4.8:1 is just a bit too tall for my deep water bottom fishing.  I don't have a real need for two-speed...

well, I do practice tug-o-war fishing groupers and the low speed is really hepful on that, so you can do it with 2 speed reels or old reels with 2.5:1, but actually for the size of the fisheries on this latitude you can do it with any one speed small reel with high drag like many of the current options, but like my old man use to say, its better to have it and dont need it than need it and dont have it, so, Its always nice to have the 2nd speed on the reels as an option.

the fathom is a nice reel, but I didnt feel it like a keeper reel, the one on the pics was actually sold few weeks ago, I will replace it with a smaller reel but the new one will be from the Makaira line up

@Jeff, your 100% correct amigo, the longer knob gives you a firm grip and you can apply any torque you need for the fight.

The Baja Guy