975 international star drag

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Aloha Rob,

You could also use spool pin pliers from Boca or http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7289.0.  If you are doing several reels a year, this is a good investment.  It doesn't mushroom the pin head as much as my home-made pliers as in Alan's photo. 

For bearings, and for your applicantion in the Hawaii waters, I would only recommend SS.  Ceramics are nice, but if the races are not protected, they will rust.  So, for Hawaiian invironments, you would need to lube the ceramic bearings, which slows them down and defeats the purpose of haveing ceramic bearings.  Go with SS bearings and you will be fine.

BTW, I have 2 pliers left if you are interested.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Kau Grown

Thanks Bryan! I think I really should buy one of those pliers! My  975 takes a beating!!! It's sitting about a foot above water level and I use it to damashi for bait, I probably drop for bait at least a 100 times each trip out and most drops are deeper than 30 fathoms. Having the right tool for the job will defiantly help out! Where can I buy replacement stainless steel bearings? And does anyone know what sizes are the spool bearings? I don't have one of those measuring devices yet....
Check out my pro athlete page on FB for more action!
"Rob Wong Yuen - Pro Kayak Angler"
Tours:Extreme808Kayak@gmail.com

Tightlines667

All caught up with the refurbs and servicing my customer's trolling reels, so I decided to service my personal 975 star w/level wind.  Compared to the reels I've been working on..this little gem was a breeze!  Only took 45mins to completely disassemble (except for clicker assembly), thoroughly clean all parts, bearings re-lube (penn grease on all internals, corrosion X on bearings, Cal's on drag discs), and reassemble.  The reel is definately cranks smoother, has a stronger/smoother drag, and better free spool. The extra grease made the reel require just slightly more effort to crank though.  I was surprised at how good the condition of the reel was overall despite 10+ years of age and fairly heavy use.  The anti reverse bearing definitely benefitted from a dunk in corrosion X and the factory grease had completly dried up.  The only other visable signs of light corrosion were in the Bellevilles, and a little tarnish on some bronze parts.  Not bad considering it has been my go to Damishi Akule&Opelu rig here in Hawaii.  Never taking a dip in the saltwater and regular freshwater rinsing after use probably helped too.  Nice little reel.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

sundaytrucka

I just bought a 975 today, and it does have some corrosion issues, not bad enough where it would affect mechanical integrity and I would need to change out parts; got lucky enough and only internal cosmetic issues due to the corrosion are the problem.

Soaking everything in Corrosion X as we speak, still a nice reel aside from the definite pro-corrosion tendencies. Anti-Reverse bearing looked good, the handle nut was the worst when it came to corrosion, let that soak for 10minutes and came off with a gentle wiggles.

For those considering buying, they are great reels for their intended purpose, but corrosion can be an issue depending on how and how often you service your reels. This is a reel I would recommend servicing after every trip. IMO

Thank you for the tutorial, I will need it.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

joe k

on your 12th pic  it shows jacks springs with spring arm facing up from yoke springs to hole in eccentric ...ive recently took apart a few 965 and 975 ..never been serviced...and the jack springs are installed just the opposisite of what pic shows...what is correct installation...mine have had all coils towards push button ...with arm coming down attaching to eccentric..a reply back to this would be appreciated to make sure installed correctly...where they put in wrong on your pic of reel..thanks joe

alantani

this is correct.  it would not work any other way.   :-\

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

joe k

two of the reels had springs put in as schematic shows...not as your pic..guess I will leave them the way I found them seem to work fine,,parts 20--965  20b-965...either way

Drisse

Hi !

Opened up thisone. When you press freespoolbutton and then crank, it wont go out of freespool. Had a look at the liftarm, and saw that the little "pin" was a bit beaten.
Or there should be spacer or something, so that the the little pin could engage the driveshaft ? I guess the pin on the liftarm is to much worn down.

I don't think this reel have been opened since it was new and noticed that the springs are installed different, than from Alans picture. Its mentioned earlier. Any idea why the springs are installed in different ways ?

If I need Penn parts, any good webshop that ships to Sweden ?

handi2

The springs are in the correct way in both pictures. Just reassemble like the picture you have. It is correct..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Drisse

Thanks handi2 !

What do you think about the liftarm ? I think the little "pin" is to worn, but I'm just guessing.

/Andreas

handi2

I too would be guessing. After a thorough cleaning and luring it may work much better. Also try the jack springs the way Alan shows them and see if that helps.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

barkley1956

Anybody know the size of the right side spool bearing in this reel?

fishhead69

I have a Penn Int'l 965. Do you have any tutorials on removing the idler gear part number 64M-965? The tutorial shows how to remove and disassemble the right sideplate but not the left sideplate. Thank you for any help you can provide on this.

mizmo67

No photos for this one yet.

Once you have the handle side plate off, remove the spool and you can access the non-handle side to unscrew it and work on the idler gear.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

fishhead69

I figured it out. There are 3 screws that hold the left sideplate, 2 long screws that also hold the click housing and click button assembly and 1 short screw that also holds the idler gear. Once you remove those 3 screws everything comes apart nicely. Thanks again for your help Maureen, you are a pleasure to do business with for sure.