first bait caster for child.line?

Started by ScottOz, June 24, 2017, 08:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottOz

Hi All, my young fella wants a bait caster for his 13th birthday.Getting him a Shimano Caius and a entry level Shimano rod to suit.Not sure if I should put mono or braid on it as he has never used a bait caster before.Would maybe go 15 or 20lb braid or 10lb mono.Any thoughts be helpful.Thanks Scott

Swami805

I'd do mono as backlashes are almost a sure thing. Picking out backlashes in light braid isn't much fun.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rancanfish

I can't remember which reel we used but I can still remember parking my son on shore in a small grassy cove while I trolled around in our puddle jumper pulling his lure out of the weeds.

But I do remember that I set him up with a reel that had a magnetic spool control set to max.  After he got efficient, but frustrated at only tossing it about 20 feet,  I told him how to adjust it.  ;D

He still tangled it up a few times, but I was able to undo the tangles easily.

Definitely mono.  Have fun and remember to make it positive and fun so he wants to go with you forever, or at least until he discovers girls.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

ScottOz

Thanks. I was worried that braid would be a real pain when getting a backlash. He is a super keen fisher and can get fish to bite long after I have given up.We were trying to get him his first decent shark this summer but ran out of luck and time.Scott

thorhammer

mono. I started with a Shimano Bantam 100 I still have 35 years later. My dad had me stand on bench and practice casting into a bucket. great for simulating pitching off bass boat accurately.

mo65

I'd spool it with 14-17lb. mono...easier to manage for a beginner. What am I saying? I still prefer that weight line on my baitcasters of that size!  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

MarkT

1st baitcasters at 13? Why wait so long? My son started at 6 and caught a YT on a Squidder 146 and he was using a Corsair 300 for Calicos and Sand Bass with 12#. By that time he already thought spinners were for newbies who can't use a 'real' reel.  I took him on his first overnight trip to San Clemente Island when he was 10. He caught 50 Calicos that trip and has been Bass crazy ever since. Calicos, Sand Bass, Spotted bay Bass, LMB, he likes them all.  Here in Southern California spinners in the salt seem to be the province of newbies with white boots who hold the reel upside down and reel it backwards. Really! I've showed several people that the handle can be moved to the other side.

At first I'd go with straight mono until he's comfortable with it before going with spectra. All mine are full of spectra with just a few feet of mono as a leader. That way you're just casting with the spectra and the knot doesn't go through the guides.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

ScottOz

Thank guys.mono it is and when he get's good with it we will put some braid on it.I hardly ever use a bait caster these days for my style of fishing but can still remember when I got my first one and how good it felt casting that rod and reel.Hope my son gets that same feeling come Saturday.Sure he will,cause he more into fishing then I was at his age.He takes great satisfaction in out fishing me,which happens more then I will admit.Scott

Decker

Quote from: MarkT on June 25, 2017, 02:16:03 AM
1st baitcasters at 13? Why wait so long? My son started at 6 and caught a YT on a Squidder 146 and he was using a Corsair 300 for Calicos and Sand Bass with 12#. By that time he already thought spinners were for newbies who can't use a 'real' reel.  I took him on his first overnight trip to San Clemente Island when he was 10. He caught 50 Calicos that trip and has been Bass crazy ever since. Calicos, Sand Bass, Spotted bay Bass, LMB, he likes them all.  Here in Southern California spinners in the salt seem to be the province of newbies with white boots who hold the reel upside down and reel it backwards. Really! I've showed several people that the handle can be moved to the other side.

I learned to cast with conventional first.  I don't recall anyone showing me how.  The reels I used were Penns with chrome spools and heavy mono, and I would turn the bait clicker on to reduce backlash :)  I was just a kid, and my father was not the one to show me how.  My untangling skills were highly developed :)

On a Hatteras pier, we rented a rod with a spinning reel, and I held it upside-down.  I recall being amazed at how easy it was to cast.  Still, I like baitcasters.

I have several Penn 10's that I would like to teach my kids to cast... just haven't worked up the courage to spend the time on the birds nests.  I may also mag some Squidders, or maybe I just need to let them make a mess :)