Biggiesmalls' rebuild for 9/0 hotrod sharkin set-up

Started by thorhammer, June 24, 2017, 09:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

So you guys know Biggie; he's asked tons of good questions in figuring out his fishing stand and has made some really good, informed decisions. He started with a 9/0 on a real beater Shakespeare solid glas rod picked up on the cheap. I rebuilt the rod for him and I think it turned out pretty well, and certainly for hid intended purpose. Here are a few pics. Were just going to heat shrink the grips and rewrap turbo guides on it but he decided to shorten the blank to standup length of 5'10" and replace reel seat, gimbal and install longer fore grip. So we had a full rebuild going on.

Here you go. Biggie cut off the old crappy rollers before I got it, but in short the blank was fully stripped, sanded, primed and painted for prep.

thorhammer

Installed new aluminum seat and gimbal, grips with X shrink over, Turbo guides and tops (no moving parts to cause issues in the dark. Started with a really tall 25mm stripper guide for that 9/0 spool.

That's my 9/0; Biggies' has parts powder coated in gunmetal gray which is going to look very good.

sdlehr

Very nice, John, Biggie will be very happy with that.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

I'm double dogging his plate for him. You might have to lend a hand putting it back together.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

biggiesmalls

Quote from: sdlehr on June 24, 2017, 09:25:42 PM
Very nice, John, Biggie will be very happy with that.

Sid
Haha, very happy indeed! Had the rod for a few weeks now and I can't wait to get something caught on this setup. 21 days left until the 8-day trip.

mo65

Holy moly John...what you do with rods amazes me. That was a beater Shakespeare? It looks like a different rod. I love the name added to it...awesome!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

biggiesmalls

The rod's a looker, John did an amazing job. Can't wait to see the other stand up rod he's working on ;)

thorhammer

Drew if you will post a close up of the diamond wrap and one of the whole rod. I'll explain why later.

biggiesmalls

Here you go:

Bryan Young

Fancy!!!

Nice Rod John.

Drew, tight lines buddy!  Go catch a biggie shark!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Army_of_One

Another day in Paradise!

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

biggiesmalls

Quote from: MarkT on June 26, 2017, 12:47:49 AM
Is this for fishing from a boat or the beach?
I'll mostly be using it from the beach. Might see the boat once or twice though