Tanacom 750 Service

Started by Redzwulf, June 25, 2017, 04:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericl1947

Hi and thanks for the great post.
I have a Tanacom Bull 1000 and the anti reverse has stopped working. Would you know if your tutorial is close enough to use for my Tanacom Bull
Regards
Eric

Bloggsy

I used this tutorial to assist me in stripping down my 2 Tanacom 1000 and after ordering bearings & O rings it was a a couple of months before I got back to reassemble. I have forgotten where one washer goes. They were next to the Drag collar A but I cant find this washer listed in the schematics or any on line tutorial. I have attached photos where I believe it may go but would appreciate some help as to whether I am right or not. The washer is 11.9mm o.d. x 8.13mm i.d. x .96mm thick and it fits over the drive shaft nicely and into the recess of the Drag collar

Thanks
Bloggsy

PipeJumper

I have the same extra part and I believe it goes between 89 and 105.  Probably added later since 105 could dig into the plastic when folks crank down the drag.

I never noticed it fit that collar but I happen to have one dissembles so took a look at it. It does fit but sticks out a little which would impact the drag pressure so I'm fairly certain it doesn't go there.

First time I tore mine a part I was stumped on the extra part too. I haven't had issue with the reel having it between 89 and 105 but maybe I've done it wrong all these years.

Bloggsy

Thank you so much for the reply yes the only concern that I had with my suggested placement was that it stuck out a bit and didn't allow for full face contact on the drag washer, here is a reply I received from another member Rothmar2:

Yes I have done a few of these, but it was quite some time ago. I think from the pictures you have up, that looks about right. I think the shims you have shown go under the drag sleeve/collar, to stop the drag star from bottoming out and rubbing against the plastic side cover. I could get a reel back to check, but it might take me a few days, as I don't own one. Does the reel function OK with the shim located as you have shown, when fully assembled?

So now I don't know which way to go, it's very annoying when parts aren't shown on the schematics because you always think well I have the diagram in case things go wrong but not so in this case. I can only hope to hear back from Rothmar2 or from someone who has done a few as I hate to reassemble things wrong.
I did contact Daiwa here in Australia but they declined to answer (they probably think that you should be sending it to them for repair) 

Bloggsy

I still have no definitive answer on this washer issue surely someone has had these apart? All I can assume is that it was a later addition/upgrade. Daiwa have not replied to any of my emails I have attached some more photos of possible location.

Redzwulf

Sorry, hadn't seen this until now.

The washer goes in location 2.

Regards,
Eric

WalterWyman

I am having a problem as I can't see the pictures of the reel am I doing something wrong or did they disappear? I now have one on my bench and this would be awesome not to do it blind!

Thanks
Wally
"You said the grinding sound just started after leaving it sit wet for 1 year?" I see.....

Donnyboat

Wally, take digital photos as you go, step by step, them follow them as you place it back together, you should by good, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Redzwulf

Donnyboat

Hi Eric & all members, it is now 3 years since I re modeled, my power cord, still operating great, not one bit of trouble, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

Hi Eric & all members, I have just finnished servicing Pats Tanacom 1000 reel, as Kieth said the 750, 1000 & the 1000 Tanacom bull are all the same, so I though I would report on the service here.
     I was very disapointed with the drag washers, made of card board or baker light, there were 6 washers aprox 70 mm thick, I made up 5 CF washer for it, the first washer I used 1 mm thick, as the first washer tends to ware more than the others, for the rest I used 75mm CF, so that almost made up the same measurements of the original stack, greased with Cal`s grease.
     The drag A/r ratchet & the dog were almost round were they meshed, not through ware but the way they were manufactured, so I reshaped them, the Dog more pointier, & the ratchet to suit, they mesh nice now.
     there was a bearing on each end of the spool, the large bearing face plate side measured-inside 16mm or 0.630 in, outside-22 mm or 0.866 in, thickness-4 mm or 5/32 in, small bearing tail plate end-inside- 4mm or 5/32, outside- 11mm or 0.433 in, thickness 4mm or 5/32, there is anouther bearing behind one of the cogs tail plate side, that had a step up frame combined with it, I could not get a good measurement on that one, & the writing could not be read,
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

Sorry had a few visitors turn up when writing the report, hence the abrupt finish. okay back to the Tanacom 1000 service, I took the level line worm out, cleaned it all. but when I placed it back together, I had the pall cup the gard & the worm facing towards the rod tip. so when it came time to put the reel back together, the plastic components would not line up, theres not many pictures that show that part of the reel & the schematic dont help. it all has to be pointing at the rod but end of the reel, operator end, another hurdle I had, as when it came time to screw the centre of the reel to the tail plate, the two wires that you drag back through to the face plate side, the red wire developed a curl in it on the tail plate side, making it hard to marrie together, had to twist the wire back the other angle.
    when moving the face plate into position, the drag dog would drop out, I dont like using grease near the dogs, as it reduces free pivoting of the dog, but to keep it in position I had to, after screwing the reel together & mounting it onto the rod, I tested it before, before cable tying the electric cord back as I  have it, drag operates nice & smooth now, so I hope this helps some one.
     by the way the two small bearings were working very smooth, no sir clip to get the shields of, so I soaked them in TSI 321, I had the auto electrician run some tests on the motor, he said it was fine, the 75 mm cf sheet I had, it belonged to Wallace browne, I brought it from his wife, after he past on, with her Daughter supervising the transaction.  cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

mhc

A couple of photos from Don's service of Pat's reel - the first shows the original drag washers he mentioned. I don't have any experience with these reels and can't contribute to the discussion other than carbon fiber washers is a good choice to replace the original brittle material.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Donnyboat

Thanks Mike, for the two photos you placed on here, I am getting plenty of drag pressure with the combination of CF washers I used, compared with the original, & such a smooth start up.
     In the first pic, you can see a pare of tweezers & the tool with the blue handle, that is a small hook, gee them two tools come in handy. thanks again Mike, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Fishead

I do not see any pictures of Redzwulf's post. Just the step by step instructions that usually accompany each pic.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!