Penn 209

Started by L Fowler, November 05, 2018, 11:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L Fowler

Wanting to know if a Penn 209 and a Penn 309M are the same? New to conventionals.

akfish

Different reels although quite similar. The 309 is bigger, has more line capacity and a bit more drag, but both are level wind reels. In Alaska they are often used or salmon trolling. What do you plan to use these reels for?
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

the 309 has #6-309 jigmaster drag washers.  the 209 has #6-155 drags that are smaller.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gfish

Welcome Fowler!
There's a heck of alota those Penn _09 models for sale on the "big site"(e-Bay) especially, it seems, the 209's.

I really prefer the

Penn 350 with that super sturdy levelwinder, even though the mechanism don't wind perfectly.

I managed to get this'n in with my 350...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Decker

Hi, welcome, Fowler.  What do you fish for? 

I'd like to suggest the Penn Mag 210.   It has the same drags as the 309, and gears equal to a Jigmaster with a 4:1 retrieve.  For whatever reason they are cheap on eBay, at about $30 bucks.  They are a bit overshadowed by the burly 320 GTi which goes for bigger bucks.  There are some nice Daiwa Sealine levelwinds in that range that are very nice too.

The 350 that Gregg suggested is slower at 3:1 and with a weaker drags than the reels above.  I like that reel because it is a level-wind that you can use to cast a shock leader (that winds onto the spool), for surf fishing. 

Gregg, the smile on your face attests to the thrill of catching that torpedo! What kind of tuna is that?   What is imperfect about the 350 level wind?

Gfish

Black Skipjack, or Mackeral Tuna, or Mexican Little Tunny, and some Hawaiian name I can't recall. Great Sashimi!
The levelwind mechanism doesn't cradle the line on this'n. The line runs over the top of a twisted bar and can sometimes move out of alignment under side pressure. The first line guide is supposed to be at least 30" above the reel accorrding to the Penn manual.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Decker

Quote from: Gfish on November 06, 2018, 04:32:27 PM
Black Skipjack, or Mackeral Tuna, or Mexican Little Tunny, and some Hawaiian name I can't recall. Great Sashimi!
The levelwind mechanism doesn't cradle the line on this'n. The line runs over the top of a twisted bar and can sometimes move out of alignment under side pressure. The first line guide is supposed to be at least 30" above the reel accorrding to the Penn manual.

I'll bet that little tunny gave you a nice little sleigh ride if you caught it on your kayak :)

Thirty inches is a long distance for most rods, but works for a surf heaver.