Penn Mag Power 990 Help

Started by xjchad, June 28, 2017, 04:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

A good candidate for that would be that 6/0 narrow Randy made. Would hold a ton of line and good drag numbers. The small spool of the 990 with over 2/3 of the line gone would be tough due to IPT being greatly decreased. If there's any drift and scope in the line the spool diameter would get pretty small. I would think tall and narrow would be better for IPT and deep drop fishing
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Decker

Quote from: Swami805 on July 13, 2018, 08:10:29 PM
A good candidate for that would be that 6/0 narrow Randy made. Would hold a ton of line and good drag numbers. The small spool of the 990 with over 2/3 of the line gone would be tough due to IPT being greatly decreased. If there's any drift and scope in the line the spool diameter would get pretty small. I would think tall and narrow would be better for IPT and deep drop fishing

Thanks, Sheridan.  I don't know how to get inches-per-turn without the reel in hand, but a standard 6/0 has a listed gear ratio of 2.8:1 which is 60% of the 990 ratio 4.7:1.  The high-speed SS sets go to 3.25:1, which doesn't seem like much of a difference.

I hear you about the line capacity, drift, etc. Maybe the 990 would be good for a depth of say, 500 ft.  I'm determined to find a good use for that reel.   I'll try measuring IPT on the bare spool, and then spool it up with 65lb braid.   

handi2

I see by the numerous posts that these reels are becoming more popular. I used them in the 80's for king mackeral trolling. With 25lb mono I would catch a few Red Snapper too.

They were a rich mans reel ;D
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Swami805

Back in the old days we'd fish rock cod 800-1000' with a 9/0 and dacron and a 5 pound window shash weight for a sinker. 6-10 hooks and let it soak until it felt full. You could get a lot of 50lb dacron on a 9/0. Then grind it up to the surface. The limit was 15 then so you'd try to be done in 3 or 4 drops. The low gear was a plus in the 9/0,lose things would be heavy for the 1st couple hundred feet,then the air bladders would expand and almost float the sinker up. I don't know if what you fish for have air bladders,sharks and true cod don't but these weren't real cod. Wish we had spectra then. I was thinking a low gear would be easier to crank and that narrow 6/0 should hold a ton of 65lb braid. We use 30-40lb leaders in case you got hung up you could break it without tipping the boat over.
We can't fishing deeper than 360' for bottom fish here anymore so that kind of gear went the way of the doo-doo.
Just thinking of something with a tall spool and low gear for fishing that deep might be helpful.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Decker

Very cool, Sheridan. Nothing's speaks like experience. I used to have a pile
If sash weights but haven't seen any in a while. I need to put the rock cod handle you gave me to work. I think tilefish have swim bladders.

Riy2018

Quote from: xjchad on August 16, 2017, 02:22:57 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Got it all rebuilt finally and hope to fish it soon!
Does anyone know of any cool star or handle upgrades?

Nice reel. I have 980 model and can find how to upgrade Mag system. I like one from PMR.

xjchad

Thanks Riy2018,
I sell adjustable mag kits and customized one of my kits to upgrade the mag on my 970.

It makes a pretty big difference and it's really nice being able to make a quick adjustment without having to find a dime or something to turn the magnet.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Alto Mare

Quote from: xjchad on November 06, 2018, 10:36:34 PM
Thanks Riy2018,
I sell adjustable mag kits and customized one of my kits to upgrade the mag on my 970.

It makes a pretty big difference and it's really nice being able to make a quick adjustment without having to find a dime or something to turn the magnet.
These are a good upgrade! I was asked to test thosem prior to production and was impressed.

Keep up your great work Chad.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

xjchad

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 06, 2018, 11:21:20 PM
Quote from: xjchad on November 06, 2018, 10:36:34 PM
Thanks Riy2018,

These are a good upgrade! I was asked to test thosem prior to production and was impressed.

Keep up your great work Chad.

Sal

Thank you Sal!
Husband, Father, Fisherman