Tiburon/113H Spool Sideplay

Started by scramblerj, September 13, 2017, 05:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scramblerj

Hi all.  I'm really sorry if this has been covered before, but I did a search and couldn't find anything that sounded like my particular issue.

I installed a Tib frame/spool on an old 113HLW that's been sitting for a long time.
Everything seemed to go together just fine (frame/spool/new Carbontex) and seemed to be in good working order.  I even had it filled with 80#braid and 50# mono topshot.

Here's the issue:  The other day, I noticed there was 'suddenly' a LOT of sideplay in the spool.  I tightened the left side bearing cap ALL THE WAY down (with pliers even) and no change.
I removed the bearing cap to check if it looked like everything was there (compared to a stock 114H with no spool sideplay issues) and it looked ok.  I put the bearing cap back on, and the sideplay was gone, but then after cycling freespool/in gear several times (no specific number, I did this removal/reinstall routine several times, always the same result) the sideplay returned.  It seems almost like the spool shaft isn't 'seating' and things are fine, then it does 'seat' and the sideplay is back.

Any ideas? Again, I'm really sorry if this has been covered, and if it has I'd be happy if someone could point me to another thread.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Bryan Young

Hi Joe,

First, I'd check the pinion gear yoke.  It seems to be hanging up on the spool, meaning that it's not sliding smoothing on the spool shaft.  if it's not the yoke, it could be the pinion gear, spool shaft or both that are not completely smooth.  Check for burrs on the pinion bearing and groves in the spool shaft.

Second, I'd shim the spool bearings for proper alignment when using aftermarket parts.  Send me your address in a personal message and I'll get a few in different thicknesses out to by mail.  The frame sounds like it's a little long by maybe 0.030" or so.

Bryan

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Gfish

The Tib. spools 'er made alittle diffrent than the Penn one's. Check the spool shaft/clicker gear interface, but first what Bryan said, which sounds more likely. I gotta 3-jigmaster kit collection and the 500 version I'm almost done with, was the only one that had no spool bugs when I assembled it with the Penn spool. The other 2( 501 & "99" width) had Tib. spools with minor, easy to fix issues. Mabey post pics. a the finished reels latter.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!