Converting from a conventional to a spinner.

Started by JRD, August 27, 2020, 01:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

I've got a 9 foot I love the action on and want to convert it for a spinning reel.  Is a full re-wrap necessary or just the first few guides?  The interweb experts go both ways.

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

oldmanjoe

Boat rod or casting with it  , put a reel on and try it .
1 piece or 2 piece rod ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

MarkT

I've used spinners on conventional rods and done ok. The first few guides are too small but ok other than that. The rod bent just fine under the load. Nobody made any comments since there are plenty with white boots fishing with a spinner upside down turning the handle backwards on those short trips in the summer... if you know what I mean!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bryan Young

It depends on how the rod was wrapped in the first place.  If it's directly on the spline, then changing the rod from conventional to spinner will usually result in a stiffer spinning rod than the casting rod.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JRD

Quote from: oldmanjoe on August 27, 2020, 02:27:24 AM
Boat rod or casting with it  , put a reel on and try it .
1 piece or 2 piece rod ?

It is a 1 peace, 9-foot casting rod it's a hybrid of glass and graphite made by Phenix and like many mass produced rods it's not wrapped directly on the spine. 

boon

You'll want to change the stripper and probably the second guide, possibly the third. Also the tip is likely less-than-ideal.

The guide spacing might be out by a fair whack as well depending how the original rod was wrapped. You may want the stripper guide to go where the second previously was, or somewhere in between, to allow for the increased distance that a spinner stands off the rod. If the first guide is too close it will create a severe line angle, especially when the rotor is at the bottom-most angle.

But honestly, if you like the blank... you can't go that far wrong.

Cor

I have done many the the other way around, Spinner to Conventional.   Bear in mind by default we fish with our reels fitted on the back hand, in my case 17cm from the rear.

I think you may need to change a few things, perhaps where you place your reel and perhaps one or two guides need to be replaced.

The way I would do it is to start by simply fitting a spinning reel to the rod and go and cast/fish with it and see how it works.   Then from there systematically change whatever you feel is limiting you.

It is not a given that you have to do anything, but that way you end up with a rod that is perfect for you.     I fished for a month with a rod with two reel seats till I eventually decided I needed only the rear one and removed the front seat.   I then changed 2 of the guides.   Remember I am working in the other direction, (spinning to Conventional)

I still use the rod regularly and it still has a mixture of original and new guides.
Cornelis