Penn Senator 12/0 rod suggestions?

Started by Saaben, July 09, 2017, 01:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I have a few, but this one is rated 50 to 130.
I'm thinking it is a Rainshadow E-Glass blank which suits me just fine.
These are Stump Pullers.
Life is Good!

Saaben

Very nice SharkHunter, I may have to take a stab at getting one till my much anticipated 12/0 shows up. Thanks for sharing the good news and glad I could help add to your collection. On a side note I was reading one of your old post regarding leader set ups etc and you remarked how you had gone to a sliding weight or something to that affect. You also mentioned that you leave the hook exposed now for better hook ups. Care to share your set up? It may be helpful to a number of us that follow. Thanks and have a great day.

Shark Hunter

Saaben,
I use a Bite section 10' long. This is either 480 lb cable or toothproof wire. Usually #19. Then I attach that to a section of 400 to 600 lb mono 20' long. This is the sliding trace. I have a claw weight on a swivel that slides on this.
When the shark takes the bait He has 30' before he will pull the weight.
If he has it in his mouth and swimming away, this usually sets the hook itself in his jaw.
A lot of people don't use leaders this long, For land based Sharking, this is what works.
I use a bite section 10' minimum, because the smart ones will try to roll up the leader and tail slap the mono.
All connections are double crimped and stainless thimbles on all connections except the hook so it can swivel more easily.

Life is Good!

Saaben

Got it, very nice. Mine is similar somewhat. I have a size 10 Mustad circle hook connected to double strand piano wire #19 I think but mine is only about 2 feet. I run that into a 600 lb barrel swivel connected to about 10 feet of 480lb mono. I connect a 4-6 oz weight to this mono leader. All connections crimped but not double crimped. All this is making me want to head to Cape San Blas where I keep all my gear and make some leaders tonight. Is it hard to reel in your claw weight? Thanks

Saaben

Hi Sharkhunter, I received the rod this evening. Beautiful. So pleasantly surprised with the quality and craftsmanship. Big difference from run of the mill rods. Appreciate the advice and pointers. Thanks

Shark Hunter

Glad it worked out. Yea, the claw weight reeling can be a pain sometimes. The faster you can crank, the easier.
Life is Good!