Surf Casting Penn Sea Scamp 78 and Pflueger Supreme levelwind

Started by Decker, July 10, 2017, 02:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Check out these videos using vintage reels....

Beach Surf Casting - PENN SEA SCAMP 78:  

Pflueger SUPREME Baitcasting Fishing Reel:  

George4741

I've been checking these videos out, as well as the Penn 77 video you posted earlier.  It makes me want to practice more with my conventionals.  The only one I've been reasonably good at casting with is a Penn 350 Leveline.
viurem lliures o morirem

Decker

Quote from: George4741 on July 11, 2017, 01:47:16 AM
I've been checking these videos out, as well as the Penn 77 video you posted earlier.  It makes me want to practice more with my conventionals.  The only one I've been reasonably good at casting with is a Penn 350 Leveline.

George, I've never used a 350, but was curious about it.  How do you use it? Does the leveling bar spin when casting? /Joe

George4741

Quote from: Decker on July 11, 2017, 03:16:14 AM

... How do you use it? Does the leveling bar spin when casting? /Joe

No, and no danger of the line getting out of sync with the leveling bar, either.  In a traditional level wind reel, you could be in big trouble if the line gets out of sync with the level wind mechanism.  The Olympic Dohzuki uses the same principle. 

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Catching Nemo

Hi guys,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. But I had a question (and apologies if this question has been asked previously in other threads):

In the YouTube video above, he is casting a Penn 78.  He made another video where he is casting a Penn 77:

These Penn 77/78 reels (as well as a Penn 165 Beachmaster that I recently acquired) have no star drag and have no anti-reverse.  The handle spins both ways.  They have clickers.  A difference is that the 77/78 do not have a free spool feature, whereas my 165 has the eccentric lever to freespool for casting.

In the video, he rigged these reels as left-handed reels.  I'm guessing that these older reels were originally intended to be "right handed" reels (hold the reel/rod with your left and, and crank with your right hand).

Is there any potential damage to the internal gears by rigging and using these reels as lefties?  Or, can they be rigged either as lefty or righty, depending on the direction in which the line is spooled on the reel?  I feel no difference in my Penn 165 whether I make a few crank turns one way versus the other way, and so I was thinking of just using it as a lefty reel.

Thanks

Decker

Catching Nemo,

Love the name. Resurrected old threads are par for the course here; no shame in it at all. I don't have any experience with those reels. I had noticed also that in the videos, Jerry seems to be using a reel that has been turned around. I can't imagine there is any problem doing that with a direct-drive reel. Someone here will know, maybe Steve (OC1). Also, you can message Jerry on his videos. I contact him regularly that way and he always responds. Good luck!

/Joe

P.S. I mentioned "Catching Nemo" to my kids and they got a chuckle out of it. :D

Penn Chronology

QuoteIs there any potential damage to the internal gears by rigging and using these reels as lefties?  Or, can they be rigged either as lefty or righty, depending on the direction in which the line is spooled on the reel?  I feel no difference in my Penn 165 whether I make a few crank turns one way versus the other way, and so I was thinking of just using it as a lefty reel.

Fisherman have been turning these old reels around for years. They can be used as right or left hand drives.