First acid wrap and first dragon Scale

Started by steelfish, July 14, 2017, 09:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeri

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on February 12, 2021, 03:31:27 PM
Also, wouldnt trying to avoid any overlap open the possibility of having less than a full wrap? Instead of 'the whole blank has 5 layers but this sliver has 6' it could be 'most of the blank has 5 layers except this sliver with 4.' And wouldnt that then function like a spine? The anti spine...

Again, still speaking from a place of zero experience. Typical.

That 4 layer area would become the predominant soft spot in the blank axis, and would therefore move the spine 180 degrees, to balance out the soft axis.

Cor

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22222.msg383933#msg383933
I cought 3 small fish round 5 lb each on this rod yesterday, Two Skipjacks, one small Yellowtail and on Bonita, all from a boat.
It all worked, but better then it was.......  I don't know ??? ???
Part of the problem was I had a lousy reel on the rod and the skippies were strong!
Cornelis

steelfish

Quote from: Cor on February 24, 2021, 08:00:44 PM

well, according to what I have read and my short time using acid wrapped rods what you describe its mainly the reason this all acid wrap style didnt or havent really convinced more fishermen to used it, the theory why it should be better over a regular casting rod is there but in the real world it really depends in many factors to feel a big improvement, as is the rod is going to be used for casting small lures only, or slow pitch jigging, bait fishing, trolling, vertican jigging, etc. you can have all your rods Spiral wrapped on all those fishing styles but you might not feel much improvement over a regular wrapped casting rod in all of them.

The Baja Guy

Cor

Quote from: steelfish on February 24, 2021, 09:15:52 PM
Quote from: Cor on February 24, 2021, 08:00:44 PM

well, according to what I have read and my short time using acid wrapped rods what you describe its mainly the reason this all acid wrap style didnt or havent really convinced more fishermen to used it, the theory why it should be better over a regular casting rod is there but in the real world it really depends in many factors to feel a big improvement, as is the rod is going to be used for casting small lures only, or slow pitch jigging, bait fishing, trolling, vertican jigging, etc. you can have all your rods Spiral wrapped on all those fishing styles but you might not feel much improvement over a regular wrapped casting rod in all of them.

In theory it all has to do with the 7mm height of the tip (or front guides) which cause a twisting motion on the rod, which a spinning reel does not have as those guides & tip sit underneath the blank.    I have fished for a few year, always with reel and guides on top, has this ever bothered me....no.   In fact I was never even aware of this until some bright spark brought it to my attention and I started to look at my tip when I had a fish on.  Maybe when using very strong rods where the rod resists the twisting motion could you feel it.

The above rod has a soft tip, so its unlikely ill feel it.    I'll use it again but with a proper reel next time.

PS   I fish in a Panga size boat which is often chaos at best.   We have a bunch of rods between 3 guys all close together upright in rod holders.    Everytime my eye caught this rod  my brain told me the line is twisted around something and I need to straighten it out before I have a tangle when I urgently need the rod. :D
Cornelis