Near collisions

Started by David Hall, July 17, 2017, 07:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

that is exactly what I am going to do.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on July 18, 2017, 02:02:40 PM
Dave,
I'd file it with the Coasties, just to document him as the prince he thinks he is and then let it go.

After the second attempt, I would have gotten on the horn with the coasties and provide them with the vessel's name and/or ID number is it was visible.  Explain the situation and that they were on their third course for a collision that is completely avoidable.

When I used to sail, I kept away from power boats when possible.  Situations, such as sailing in the entering or exiting channel, or into or out of the harbor, my path is limited and appreciated power boats giving me ample space to tack.  But open water, there are no excuses to do this kind of stuff.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Fishy247

I used to see this type of situation a lot when I was running out of Santa Cruz. Sailboats like to think that other boats are their personal yacht pylons....one thing to keep in mind is that one of the very FIRST rules of the road is that ALL VESSELS must give way to avoid a collision. And yes, as the overtaking vessel, he becomes the give-way vessel, regardless of propulsion!

Stuff like this gives sailboaters a very bad reputation....

David Hall

I only thought of this today and it already may be to old to get but my boat is equipped with AIS and tracking data on that day was available until yesterday.  I could have printed the page showing my maneuvers with time heading and speed data.  I didn't think of it until today.  I also never thought to get any information off his boat at the time, there was plenty of time to do that but for some reason never occurred to me?  Looking back I can see this is a scenario I was totally unprepared for.  Along with my boating safety program I need to include, what to do if and when a situation like this occurs.

theswimmer

David my granddad kept a Leica M3 w/a  120 mm lense on for just this sort of occasion.
With today's digital cameras capabilitys keeping a photographic record is a snap.
We always have two good cameras at hand on SV Psalms👍
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

David Hall

The whole situation just shows me how unprepared I was.  Had this occurred an hour earlier when the fog was laying on the water and visibility was reduced to 100 feet, this could have been disasterous.  I had my phone right handy, I could have taken a picture but I didn't think of that, I could have captured my tracking data from Marine Watch! But again I didn't think of that until it was to late, track data disappears after 48hrs.  I could have done a number of things to document the incident and I didn't do anything except lose my temper and yell at him.  I will be prepared next time.

Gfish

No matter where ya go, or what yer doin... But really, I'd never imagine guys with the resources fora 60ft. sailboat to be behaving like that. I'm pretty sure I'd never be ready for somethin like that until after it happened. Mabey a trust-fund brat(s). Definitely a disaster waiting to happen...
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bill B

Where's Ron when we need him....bet he might have a couple of "launchables" to correct the sailors outrageous behavior  ;).  Sorry to hear this guy ruined the day......Lessons learned and a new situation for all to learn from.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!