What grease and where?star drags.

Started by ScottOz, July 18, 2017, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottOz

When greasing a star drag reel is it advisable to use Cal's on the drag washers as well as the main and pinion gear and the gear stack shaft? So there is very little chance of getting any other type of grease on the drag washers if it was used on the gears.

RowdyW

I doubt other greases would get on the drag washers. I use Penn blue or Yamaha Marine on the gears & gear sleeve and Cal's  on the washers & inside of the main gear. Any grease mixing I feel is overthinking and not a problem. Penn uses their Penn Blue on the drag washers. Any grease on the drag washers will tend to sling outward not into the washers.     Rudy

sdlehr

Quote from: RowdyW on July 18, 2017, 11:39:18 AMAny grease on the drag washers will tend to sling outward not into the washers.
I agree with Rudy, it's never a problem getting grease into the drag stack, the drag stack grease is moving the other direction.... it's difficult to not use too much Cal's on the drag washers, so when you turn the star the grease squeezes out the sides and up, preventing anything from moving the opposite direction.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

johndtuttle

Quote from: sdlehr on July 18, 2017, 02:15:02 PM
Quote from: RowdyW on July 18, 2017, 11:39:18 AMAny grease on the drag washers will tend to sling outward not into the washers.
I agree with Rudy, it's never a problem getting grease into the drag stack, the drag stack grease is moving the other direction.... it's difficult to not use too much Cal's on the drag washers, so when you turn the star the grease squeezes out the sides and up, preventing anything from moving the opposite direction.

This is almost always true with star drag reels but with some the stack doesn't quite fit right and can jostle out of position unnoticed during re-assembly if there is too much grease. Each reel has to be assessed in this way. If there is plenty of room, slather it, if the stack fights tight, be more sparing.

As well, with Lever Drag reels you want as little as possible grease while still having complete coverage of the drag washer, so that the free spool isn't ruined by the excess grease.

@OP don't worry about the tiny chance of them mixing. The Cal's will prevent any other type from impregnating the washer. The only reason other greases are less ideal in drags is that they dry out sooner leaving lumps. If the Cal's is in there already, no worries.

ScottOz

Ok thanks.Always get the answers to questions here.Thanks for the knowledge.
Scott.