Unconventional techniques for shore-bound saltwater anglers

Started by Decker, July 19, 2017, 02:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

A few of my friends have bikes with electric assist motors, They're not fully motorized, you still have to pedal. They cost $ and not the same level of exercise but something to consider for long distances.
I use clear plastic floats for fishing in rocky areas. Cast well when half filled with water and keeps from getting hung up
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oc1

A beach outrigger pole will get your line up out of the waves.

Here guys like to fish from cliffs, first casting out the weight and then sliding their baits down on the line.  

From the beach you are starting to see a lot of drones rigged to carry the bait farther than you can cast and then dropping it in place.

Chum bags staked out in two to three feet of water do work; especially if there is a longshore current and not too much surf.

If there's offshore wind they use the plastic trash bag trick.

Never heard of or seen a fat bike but they look interesting.  Kayak fish is not shore-bound fishing, but here's something fairly new:
https://bixpy.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_di19Nvj6AIVmB6tBh0G7gb2EAAYASAAEgJgsvD_BwE

-steve

Rivverrat

Quote from: Swami805 on April 12, 2020, 04:02:21 PM
A few of my friends have bikes with electric assist motors, They're not fully motorized, you still have to pedal. They cost $ and not the same level of exercise but something to consider for long distances.
I use clear plastic floats for fishing in rocky areas. Cast well when half filled with water and keeps from getting hung up

Could you post some pics of your clear floats ?
   The electric motors are getting better all the time. Cruising speeds of 30 mph with a 50 mile or better range is now easily possible. The price does go up.

philaroman

Quote from: Rivverrat on April 12, 2020, 08:56:13 PM
Quote from: Swami805 on April 12, 2020, 04:02:21 PM

Could you post some pics of your clear floats ?

X2, please
never saw any that were very clear AND very durable, at least not among the very affordable  :(

Jeff,
browse "casting bubble" like for float-n-fly...  you may not see all, but search results won't be so cluttered w/ indicator floats

Swami805

These things, they're clear plastic and pretty cheap    They come in different sizes   I run my main line thru it with a bead and swivel at the end that acts like a stopper. Then a leader on the other end of the swivel. The main line slides thru the tube in the middle     The tube slides out so you can fill it with some water
Works well around rocks, if you leave slack in the line the bait will sink deeper
I've used them quite a bit surf fishing around humbolt in really rocky areas for greenling and rockfish.  They last ok as long as you don't smack them on the rocks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

philaroman

oh, I'm an expert w/ those -- expert at cracking them
(rocks, logs, forehead, mystery cracks in storage, etc.)
plus, braid grooves the tube pretty quickly & hangs up,
even if I do manage a few hours use before crack-up

the durable ones w/ surgical tubing & brass rims for line entry/exit,
are less stealthy & more pricey
was hoping you had found a good middle ground

oc1

Here, bubble floats with a small grub are probably the most frequently seen set-up for "whipping" (repetitive casting) from shore. It difficult to argue with a combination adjustable casting weight and float to keep the grub off the bottom.
-steve

Ron Jones

I've done the kite from shore thing a couple times. You can get your line a ways out there in a hurry for sure. It is a bunch of gear for traveling, however.

I LOVE bike fishing. It lets you be way more mobile and carry more gear comfortably. Rad bikes are made up here and they have a cargo version that is all over the place up here. Costs the same as a motorcycle but no registration and, most importantly for a place like this, you can ride it anywhere a bike can go. I really want one for the Olympic Pacific coast. Black rock fish for days!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Sharkb8

I just cast a 9/0 or 12/0 off the beach in the past and done quite well only recently got a kayak

Kim