Shakespeare 2200II spinning reel overhaul

Started by happyhooker, July 25, 2017, 02:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reelmeneer

Does someone know if it is possible to fix the 'quick release' mechanism of the spool? Mine does not stay fixed on the shaft...

Regards,

Ed

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Awesome writeup!

I hate that so many of these cool old reels have pot metal gears.  It makes it dangerous to fish them where I live, on the Choctawahatchee bay.  You can be using a rig with 4 lb test trying to tease a nice Speck up off the sandy flats and BOOM a Bull Red decides that he's game and he's got the muscle to shear the gear teeth off of a pot metal reel, real quick.  And the Reds around here are game.  There are lots of baitfish for them to feed on so they get nice and strong.
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: festus on March 24, 2019, 04:12:11 PM
Here is a side-by-side pic comparing the 2200 II of hooker's to the older 2200.  Looks like some of the differences are the pop-off spool and a larger crosswind block on the 2200 II. 

BTW, my 2200 and its cousin, the Compac Atlas III are the smoothest of the old classic ultralights I own.  Even smoother than the Mitchell 308/408, Shakes 2052, Quick 265, Quick 110 or the 110N or the Heddons.  Sure, the 2200 models are built cheaper and most likely wouldn't take as much abuse, but they sure feel better.
I have a 2200 (not the II the original 2200) and a 2052 and the 2200 has less friction, but it definitely isn't as smooth as my 2052. By smooth, I simply mean there is no feedback from gear meshing through the handle on the 2052 at all. There is more friction when turning the handle which I would attribute to tighter tolerances in the bushings for the main drive gear and the shaft for the drive gear. Everything about the 2052 seems tighter but it is one of the smoothest reels I own (including several other worm drive reels). By smooth, are you referring to how easily it cranks (which I would call friction) or gear meshing feedback through the handle? I'm not downing the 2200 at all, I like mine and have no intentions of selling it. Just wondering if we are thinking along the same lines. My 2200 definitely has less friction when cranking but I can also feel the meshing of the gears through the handle. I can't feel any gear meshing whatsoever with the 2052.
I own several 2062's and they are extremely smooth like the 2052.

mo65

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on June 12, 2019, 04:00:22 AM
I have a 2200 and a 2052, and the 2200 has less friction, but it definitely isn't as smooth as my 2052. By smooth, I simply mean there is no feedback from gear meshing through the handle on the 2052 at all. There is more friction when turning the handle which I would attribute to tighter tolerances in the bushings for the main drive gear and the shaft for the drive gear. Everything about the 2052 seems tighter but it is one of the smoothest reels I own (including several other worm drive reels). By smooth, are you referring to how easily it cranks (which I would call friction) or gear meshing feedback through the handle? I'm not downing the 2200 at all, I like mine and have no intentions of selling it. Just wondering if we are thinking along the same lines.

This is a subject that gets confused a lot. There is a definite difference in how easy the handle spins(attributed to how easy the bearing surface spins) and felt gear mesh. Both can be adjusted with the type of lube used. Lighter lube in the bearing makes the handle "free", but easing handle spin can suddenly make felt gear mesh appear. Heavier lube on the gears reduces felt mesh, but stiffens the handle. It's a balancing act...which is the fun part...making the reel feel perfect! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on June 12, 2019, 04:00:22 AM
Quote from: festus on March 24, 2019, 04:12:11 PM
Here is a side-by-side pic comparing the 2200 II of hooker's to the older 2200.  Looks like some of the differences are the pop-off spool and a larger crosswind block on the 2200 II. 

BTW, my 2200 and its cousin, the Compac Atlas III are the smoothest of the old classic ultralights I own.  Even smoother than the Mitchell 308/408, Shakes 2052, Quick 265, Quick 110 or the 110N or the Heddons.  Sure, the 2200 models are built cheaper and most likely wouldn't take as much abuse, but they sure feel better.
I have a 2200 (not the II the original 2200) and a 2052 and the 2200 has less friction, but it definitely isn't as smooth as my 2052. By smooth, I simply mean there is no feedback from gear meshing through the handle on the 2052 at all. There is more friction when turning the handle which I would attribute to tighter tolerances in the bushings for the main drive By smooth, are you referring to how easily it cranks (which I would call friction) or gear meshing feedback through the handle? I'm not downing the 2200 at all, I like mine and have no intentions of selling it. Just wondering if we are thinking along the same lines.gear and the shaft for the drive gear. Everything about the 2052 seems tighter but it is one of the smoothest reels I own (including several other worm drive reels).  My 2200 definitely has less friction when cranking but I can also feel the meshing of the gears through the handle. I can't feel any gear meshing whatsoever with the 2052.
I own several 2062's and they are extremely smooth like the 2052.
Kevin, I meant the 2200 cranks much easier than the 2052.  I have two of the Shakespeare 2200, one Diamond Micro7, and one Compac Atlas III, which are essentially the same reels.  Also have four fully functional 2052.  Just got through comparing all those by giving them all some good cranking.  One of the 2200 is a little noisier than the other reels, and a wee bit stiffer to crank. The Diamond Micro7, Compac Atlas III and the other Shakespeare 2200 turn effortlessly.  All the 2052 are very smooth, just don't crank quite as easily, but not enough to complain about or your Average Joe would even notice.  No doubt the 2052 are the best. 

The Fishing Hobby

Gotcha! I agree the handle turns more freely on the 2200 for sure. One of the easiest cranking reels of the vintage reels I own. The Mitchell 408's are easy cranking reels too (seem to turn more freely than the lower gear ratio 308's). The 2200 is a real sleeper reel, great little reel that can be had at a fair price.