Curious irregular tension on 209 levelwind

Started by Whit, July 28, 2017, 10:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

Friends:

I just replaced the left (non-handle side) sideplate on a Penn 209.  Everything went fine until I got done and started winding.  As the level wind got closer to the left side of the spool, the whole mechanism would tighten up noticeably.  I tried adjusting the tension screw on the right sideplate, but that did not produce the desired result.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Whit

foakes

Hi Whit --

Could be a few things --

Most common is a bent worm shield, burred worm, pawl not setting right, line guide tweaked, tension too tight on the worm screw on the headplate.

Or, a tweaked frame due to damage or uneven screw tightening.

To quickly eliminate and narrow the possibilities -- just take out the 12 parts that make up the levelwind assembly -- if the spool turns free when the frame is snugged up -- then it is in the LW assembly.

Just assemble the reel again -- paying attention to test and function as you go.

You will then be able to determine if it is just an assembly issue, or a bad part.

Good luck!

Let is know how you do...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Whit

Quote: "remove the 12 parts..."   Sheesh, that advice is enough to cause one to squirt a little more CorrosionX on the thing and move on!

OK OK, I got it.  I'll dutifully troubleshoot and advise!  It is strange that the tension is all at the left side of the levelwind's path. 

Fred: Separately, I'm getting together another box for you.  A miserable lot of Quick orphans needing your tender ministrations...

Whit

foakes

If you get frustrated, Whit --

Just send it along with the other reels -- no big deal, I work on dozens of these every year -- 109, 9, 209, 309.

Have any parts necessary.

It almost has to be in the LW, or frame assembly, IMO.

One time I had a catch at regular intervals on a 209 -- after having it apart multiple times, I discovered the problem.

I had replaced the nylon idler gear -- never checking the worm drive brass gear closely.  It actually had a tiny tooth from the nylon gear broke off and jammed in between the teeth of the brass gear.  Couldn't see it because of the oil and grease.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mizmo67

Make sure the reel is framed out squarely too...if the framework is a little crooked it would also start to bind either levelwind or spool on the off kilter side.
Loosen all framework screws, square the reel by setting it on a flat surface, then tightened all the screws.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com