Box Repair

Started by Bill B, July 30, 2017, 09:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I have this Penn DelMar 286 box that was in pretty sad shape, both the outer box and inner box had the bottoms either completely or partially detached, making them unsuitable for display.  After speaking to the Ohana and listening to their suggestions, and spending a considerable amount of time contemplating the repair, as I would only get one chance, finally attempted the repair.

So this is what I started with.  Inner box with completely detached bottom

Outer box with partially detached bottom.

Gathered my supplies.  White glue, straight edge, razor blade and brown paper sack.  I decided on the brown paper sack so it would better match the box materials and reasonable strong.

Measure the length of the sides requiring repair.  In this case 4" and 6".  Then I cut strips of paper 1 3/4" wide by the required length.

Folded each strip in half length wise and spread a thin layer of glue with a brush.

Then placed each strip into the box, smoothing into the corners with a tongue depressor and fingers.

Repeat for all corners.  I was fortunate that the boxes held their original shape and squaring them up was not problem.

Let them dry and the boxes are repaired for display use.  If I were ever to sell them (Dom aka Broadway you are still top of the list brother  ;))  I will disclose the box has been repaired.  The insides look pretty good, but not sure what to do about the outsides though.    Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

Excellent repair Bill, I'd just leave the outsides alone. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

The only thing I might do with the outside is find any loose edges, flip them back a little and slip a some of that white glue under them with an exacto knife and then stick them back down so they don't get caught on something and get worse. If some glue gets on the the outside paper wipe it off quickly with a damp cloth and the shiny glue stain won't show up later after everything dries.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Tightlines667

Nice work.  I repaired a couple of prewar boxes myself... a "Cal Tuna, and a "Bay City".  I just used the clear Elmers cardboard glue.  I used a razor blade to tease all the tears back together, and applied glue with a brush.  I made an inside mold and used light rubber bands and wax paper to hold everything together while it dried.  They work fine for display purposes, but aren't really very structurally sound.  Maybe using some Brown paper as enforcement would have been in order.  I have a first year Jigmaster box that could use a little attention, if memory serves me.

Thanks for covering this one.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

oc1

Ingenious Bill.
-steve

Swami805

I have a few boxes that have holes punched thru the top, I'll have to give it a try, Thanks bill
Do what you can with that you have where you are

sdlehr

Very well done, Bill! I have a few boxes that can use that treatment.... and, by the way, considering that may be the only box of its type in the world no one is going to care if the outside is a little ratty in the corners....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Bill B

Thank you for the compliments.....now I need to find the right catalogues and accessories to fill this box out.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

coastal_dan

Very nicely done!  Doesn't get much easier than that!  I'm not much into boxes, but I must admit they add a bit of 'oomphf' to a reel collection.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

mizmo67

Nicely done. I came late, but that was what I would have suggested...sort of like repairing a book binding from the inside.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Maxed Out

Perfectly done. Box is now better than new but still has the authentic ragged edges look with no ugly glue oozing thru.

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

The Great Maudu

Quote from: sdlehr on July 31, 2017, 02:36:57 PM
considering that may be the only box of its type in the world no one is going to care if the outside is a little ratty in the corners....

Sid, is this box that rare? What's the story on that?

Superhook

I have seen/know about six of the #286 boxes in the last 10 years . Very hard to find.