Fishing with vintage tackle

Started by mikeysm, August 05, 2017, 11:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Quote from: thorhammer on April 02, 2020, 03:53:14 PM
How do we define vintage? Is it a number? I think I heard 20 years somewhere....well, I use a whole bunch of stuff I bought new in the late 90's, most of which still looks new- Spinfishers, a whole stand of Penn Graphite GS, Senators, Penn 9's, 209, 309, GTI,  and Abu's. While it may fit the definition of vintage in that regard, many such as Abu C3, Peers, Senators have had very little done in 25 other than cosmetic or minor changes, so is that really vintage? GS and GTI are very similar to current Penn graphite reels- the 535 Mag and Squall 15 look a whole lot alike... The Peers and Senators, to 99 percent of people not on AT, are the same (and are functionally) as they were  50 years ago, and my Gen 1 Internationals are still decking fish.

I still fish these on a weekly basis- my fav bass reel is a 1973 5500 Abu, the Calcutta's rarely come off the rack. The Peers and Mag 10's are used regularly and my friends haven't the foggiest that that the red ones are older than the black ones. I consider my 310/320 / 330's, and SSM's, my "new reels", lol.

correction- 525 Mag, before Chris reminds me :)

I use a lot of regular old white bucktails on heads I pour....new, I guess, but 100 years old or more in design. And tho a newer make, there's a frog pattern Jitterbug- my fav as kid- that stays hanging in my shop on an Abu 5500 for the pond out back.

Plus a whole slew of 1960's Quicks and Mitchells...

Midway Tommy

Quote from: thorhammer on April 02, 2020, 03:53:14 PM
How do we define vintage? Is it a number? I think I heard 20 years somewhere....well, I use a whole bunch of stuff I bought new in the late 90's, most of which still looks new- Spinfishers, a whole stand of Penn Graphite GS, Senators, Penn 9's, 209, 309, GTI,  and Abu's. While it may fit the definition of vintage in that regard, many such as Abu C3, Peers, Senators have had very little done in 25 other than cosmetic or minor changes, so is that really vintage?

Vintage was hijacked and in this day and age is a very misused term. It's original purpose was to define the age of wine, i.e. 1980 vintage, ect., the year it was made. As with a lot of general terms over the last decade or two our society has totally disregarded the real meaning of many of them. If one uses vintage correctly the year it was made, or circa, should be included, but God forbid appropriateness these days. Antique is at least 100 years old and anything newer might be considered collectible, if in fact it is, or retro, period or nostalgic, depending on its circa.

Personally, I try to avoid using vintage unless I include the year. I generally try to use collectible.    
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Newell Nut

In my vintage hands my vintage Newells work really well. Feed them a lot of fresh water at the end of the day and they just keep on catching fish. Funny sometimes when I make remarks about old people I remember that I am about to turn 71. ;D ;D

Dwight

foakes

Age is only a number -- and mine is unlisted...

Fish don't know the difference.

It is a great experience to fish with quality older tackle -- that when it was manufactured, part of the mindset was pride in a finished product -- and a job well done.  

A capable reel that was designed to last generations -- not disposable -- and constructed of quality materials by skilled craftsmen and engineers.

A reel that makers were not ashamed to engrave their name onto.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Newell Nut

Hey Fred,
Do you have any of those old burgundy shakespeare open face reels? I caught a lot of fish on those when I was young like 50 years ago.

Dwight

Alto Mare

Quote from: Newell Nut on April 02, 2020, 05:48:41 PM
In my vintage hands my vintage Newells work really well. Feed them a lot of fresh water at the end of the day and they just keep on catching fish. Funny sometimes when I make remarks about old people I remember that I am about to turn 71. ;D ;D

Dwight
Well, after seeing what you did to that 80lb. Punching bag, I wouldn't be too worried about being 71 if I were you.
That was a hell of a way of getting your frustration  out😂.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Quote from: Newell Nut on April 02, 2020, 06:32:49 PM
Hey Fred,
Do you have any of those old burgundy shakespeare open face reels? I caught a lot of fish on those when I was young like 50 years ago.

Dwight

What size are you looking for, Dwight?

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Newell Nut

I do not really want one since I do not fish fresh water anymore. I haven't seen one in so many years I was curious to see if you had one. I had an average size one and then I had a little one with a white spool I think. Cute little reel.

Thanks
Dwight

foakes

I have a few, Dwight --

They are very fine reels.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Sonnett

As requested: a picture of a small sample of surface lures that I typically use as well as a picture of my "high tech" bass fishing outfit. The motor is a 1962 Evenrude 3hp. The good news is it runs like new. The Bad news is I am the original owner---LOL

Decker

I'm really enjoying this thread.   The Jitterbug was one of my favorite lures for largemouth back in the 70's.  The Daredevil spoon was another.

I have to wonder, when fishing with vintage plugs, do you lose some? What kinds of lengths might you go to to get them back?  Still, I appreciate seeing the old gear still doing the job!

Sonnett

As to the question of losing old baits, most float and can be retrieved after the Bass throws them and in any case are easily replaced at antique lure shows where value is placed on condition and rarity. Well worn lures that obviously spent much time in the water (because they caught fish) are available in great numbers for $5 or less. This includes some lures that are 100+ years old. There is something special about taking a bass on a century-old bait. I seldom leave a show without a bag full of old baits to test out. Being wood, each is a bit different and some work better than an identical appearing bait. This old-time fishing is probably not very successful in the deep reservoirs that dominate "modern" bass fishing. This tackle is best matched with shallow, weedy natural lakes, the kind that was available to the average fisherman prior to our period of dam building. The first picture here is of my open tackle box taken about 10 years ago when there were still a few modern lures in it. It is paired with a 1946 Shakespeare Marhoff reel and a True Temper Dynamic seamless tubular steel rod of the same period. The second picture was snapped by a friend of mine while I was having it outwit a local bass, The rod is again seamless tubular steel and the reel is a Pflueger Skilcast, both 1940's vintage.

Midway Tommy

I've always grinned at the newest crazes in lures. With the average life span of 15 years for most freshwater species, the majority have never seen any of the old fish getters, so they're all new to them unless you fish the same body of water every day.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Bill B

I enjoy fishing the old stuff, I think my newest reel is a Baja Special, and some generic Chinese throw always, but once in a while I come across a vintage lure like this Heddon Sonic Dark Horse new in the box.  I remember my dad had one like this and was really bummed when he lost it in a snag......I'm not sure if I want to risk fishing it or admire it....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Crow

I was advised, as a youngster, that the way to really catch fish, was to fish as close to the snags, as possible, It DOES work, but you get hung up, A LOT. The guy that gave me the advice worked at  a tackle shop ???
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !