Broken screw on Abu Garcia Cardinal C4

Started by MeanMachine, August 09, 2017, 05:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanMachine

Is there a way this broken screw could be removed?  This is a Abu Garcia Cardinal C4. Any recommendation is appreciated.   

Midway Tommy

First of all it's a reverse thread, left tighten, right loosen, screw. That's probably why it got snapped off. More than likely someone tried to turn it left to remove it. Add some liquid wrench, PB Blaster, Kroil, etc., your choice, and let it set overnight. Then, use the smallest right turning drill bit you find, preferably less than 1/16" dia, and start a pilot hole directly in the center of the remaining stud. Use a very slow speed. If the drill bit binds or catches a little the stud may back right out with only the bit. If it doesn't, once you have a shallow hole started use either the smallest right hand tap you can find or the smallest self tapping screw and right turn it in. Once it catches the stud should back right out.

You can get a replacement screw, notice in the compatibility below the pic that the 3, 4 & 5 all use the same screw, here at ereplacement parts but you better hurry since they are now obsolete with only a very limited supply available.

If you can't get it out, or don't want to try, PM me and you can send it to me and I'll try to remove it for you, but you'll have to purchase the replacement screw and send it along with the reel and other parts.      
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

MeanMachine

Wow that sounds like heart surgery! Its a delicate procedure but I'll take a stab at it.  I don't think that that reel was ever serviced. I ordered the screw. I think finding that drill bit maybe a challenge.  Thanks for all your help!!

MeanMachine

HaHa Midway Tommy,
That screw came out just the way you said it would.  The only complication was the first drill bit broke. (it was a good thing I had 2)
Thanks for your help!

Midway Tommy

Glad it worked out for you!! The reverse threading on that oscillation screw and the drag knob screw seems to a stickler at times. The only way I found out the first time was that when a screw is really tight and won't budge I always try to work it both directions to break it loose. Once it broke loose I said "Well I'll be damned!" I have so may of the 3s, 4s & 5s I haven't forgotten it, yet.  ;D 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)