Cardinal 6 and 7 spools..plastic?

Started by Whit, August 11, 2017, 09:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

Just when I thought I knew a think or two about the Cardinal series, I was stunned today to realize that a 1974 Cardinal 6 I own had a plastic spool.  I know the 3's and 4's had plastic spools, but always thought the 6's and 7's had aluminum spools. Can someone straighten me out?  : )

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Whit on August 11, 2017, 09:06:04 PM
Just when I thought I knew a think or two about the Cardinal series, I was stunned today to realize that a 1974 Cardinal 6 I own had a plastic spool.  I know the 3's and 4's had plastic spools, but always thought the 6's and 7's had aluminum spools. Can someone straighten me out?  : )

That spool is not original to that reel. A 1974 Cardinal 6 or 7 would have had a cast spool with WP-878 (for the 6) or WP-890 ( for the 7) Some of the very last (around 1980) tan ABU Cardinal 6, 6X, 7 & 7X had a composite/graphite spool. They are heavily made with a brass/bronze center insert and some even have white letting and yardage on the spool face. ABU also sold them as a reserve/spare spool. Those spools would also fit the Cardinal 60 & 70 series reels.  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Whit

Gotta admit it.  All this Cardinal talk has me revisiting this series.  I still have a Cardinal 4 that I bought with my newspaper-boy earnings (the Washington Star) shortly after they came out, sometime about 1967, and used it for many years.  Later I bought one of the black Cardinal 3's but thought it was junk and got rid of it.  I also have an 6 and 7, from the 1970's.   That Cardinal 4 hasn't been fishing in years - time to drag it out and put some fresh line on it and go!!!

Question:  Has anyone perfected HT or other modern drag cloth washers for these?  I'd be interested in upgrading my whole series.

Whit

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Whit on August 14, 2017, 12:01:56 PM
Gotta admit it.  All this Cardinal talk has me revisiting this series.  I still have a Cardinal 4 that I bought with my newspaper-boy earnings (the Washington Star) shortly after they came out, sometime about 1967, and used it for many years.  Later I bought one of the black Cardinal 3's but thought it was junk and got rid of it.  I also have an 6 and 7, from the 1970's.   That Cardinal 4 hasn't been fishing in years - time to drag it out and put some fresh line on it and go!!!

Question:  Has anyone perfected HT or other modern drag cloth washers for these?  I'd be interested in upgrading my whole series.

Whit

Your 4 is probably more like '69ish or after since they didn't come out with them until '69. The 6 & 7 came out in '67. The black Cardinal 3, 4 & 5 reels were made a little differently than the Swedish made Cardinals but the were definitely not junk. I still have at least 15 that I fish with regularly and they're going as strong today as the day they were made. Like any reel, they require service and maintenance to keep them running smoothly. Do that regularly and treat them with respect, and they should last at least two lifetimes.

The original ABU drag washers are more than adequate. As far as CF replacements, I don't think anyone has figured out a way yet to stiffen CF so that it won't wear or disintegrate in those Cardinals that require a non-round hole in the fiber washer. Thicker CF should work fine in the drag stacks that require a fiber washer with a round hole but you either have to find a close size on the conversion chart or make your own.      
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on August 14, 2017, 04:33:47 PM
Quote from: Whit on August 14, 2017, 12:01:56 PM

Question:  Has anyone perfected HT or other modern drag cloth washers for these?  I'd be interested in upgrading my whole series.

Whit
Do that regularly and treat them with respect, and they should last at least two lifetimes.

The original ABU drag washers are more than adequate. As far as CF replacements, I don't think anyone has figured out a way yet to stiffen CF so that it won't wear or disintegrate in those Cardinals that require a non-round hole in the fiber washer. Thicker CF should work fine in the drag stacks that require a fiber washer with a round hole but you either have to find a close size on the conversion chart or make your own.      

I agree with Tommy -- the original fiber washers are more than ever needed in this type of lower rear-drag arrangement utilizing cam pressure against the spool shaft.

It is a bullet-proof system that would be weakened by the addition of CF's in the stack.

Some things work so well -- I don't try to improve them.

Just fish them regularly, and change out the stiff fiber drags when needed -- generally every 3 to 5 years if used 8 times a year.

Service annually -- and study and understand how well these old Cardinals were ahead of their time -- and still have yet to be surpassed by the modern competition.

Dead simple, quality components, ease of service, capable operation.

Just my opinions...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Whit

Totally agree. The Swedish quality reminds me of an old Volvo outboard motor I left in my parents garage about 20 years ago where it just sat.  Pulled it out and slapped it on a johnboat last year primed it up, pulled out the choke and  and pulled the cord:  It started on the first pull!!!!  Then there's that Jonsereds 70E saw I bought in 1982.  Still runs like a champ.  Also Swedish.

foakes

Yes on the Jonsereds chainsaw --

That was my first saw back in 1976.

It is probably still running somewhere now -- never let me down -- but I needed different saws -- so have gone to Stihl's without the fuel injection -- in our neck of the woods, parts are easier for Stihl or Husquavarna.

Hint:

If needing chainsaw or lumberjack stuff -- use Bailey's.  They are online -- and the company that most pro timbermen use exclusively.  Prices are good -- sort of like the Tractor Supply of the Woods.

And, before buying "brand-expensive" parts for a Stihl or a Husq -- check online through Amazon.

Local shop couldn't figure out a problem on my 036, 28" bar Stihl.  So I figured out myself by the process of elimination that it wasn't the carb -- it was the magneto/coil assembly.

Called 3 shops for a price -- $128 average!  Just bought the saw on CL for $275 -- decided to shop online.

Amazon had a couple of sellers offering OEM aftermarkets from Asia for $27, 2-day shipping included.

Thought, what the heck -- worth a try, even though the local shops told me to beware of these.

Installed it, hooked up 3 wires, set the mag gap with a width guage.  Started on the first pull -- ran great -- has cut around 25 cords without failing -- good enough for this child.

Got to shop around and use our heads when we can.

On this site, we are the type of individuals that feel we can fix most things ourselves, if needed.

Alan has always said -- if someone made it -- I ought to be able to repair it.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handyandy

fred funny I have a very similar saw an stihl 026 got it cheap 60 bucks just had to rebuild the carb was all. I don't cut a whole lot with it, but it's a great saw. I really like these cardinals it's hard for me to say weather I like the cardinals or dam quicks better. I love my dam 221 but I also love the cardinal 4 I have both excellent reels. On the topic of the drags I was unsuccessful in my attempt to make a working set of carbon fiber drags. Like fred said the oblong holes needed in the drag disc don't work on CF I made the holes in the disc I made oblong just like the originals and they didn't work they just rounded out. I was able to reuse them just filed them down to a little bit smaller overall diameter to fit the cardinal 3 I have. The original drag disc in my cardinal 3 were shot so I had to do something with it. The CF disc work great in the cardinal 3 but it uses round holes in the drag disc. I don't know what the disc on a cardinal 5 or 6 are like I only have a 3 and 4. If the larger cardinals have disc with round holes I'd say one could start with other cf disc and cut/file them to the size of the cardinal 5,6, or 7 like I did for the 3.